Menu

Vitamin D - pls. help me with my levels

I've been getting every sickness around here since September -- seems like as soon as I think I'm over something I get sick again. I'm so tired of being sick. So, I decided to get my D levels checked. Just got my blood test results and my level was 34. The nurse said that was in the normal range. Is that true? Everything I keep reading is that it should be above 50. Which is correct? If I should try to raise it to 50, how much should I supplement? Is there anything else I should be taking to stop getting sick all the time?

Thanks for any help. (I'm running to co-op so I may not be able to respond until later, but I can't wait to see what you all recommend.)

Thanks!!

It used to be that 30 was considered the lower level of normal. That is not true anymore. Levels should be at least 50 and I am doing my best with my levels in the 80's.

If you take vitamin D you need to also balance it by taking a Calcium-Magnesium supplement.

I take 2000 mg of vitamin C in the fall and winter. That has helped my immune system immensely.

They best way to get vitamin D is to go sit out in the direct sun with as little of close as possible. Hard to do in the winter, but maybe you could sit in front of a window.

Your body makes vitamin D when you are exposed to the ultraviolet B (UVB) rays in sunlight. UVB rays do not pass through glass, so sitting in front of a window is useless, unless you are outside of that window.

The Vitamin D Council recommends;

over age 1; 1000 IUD of D3 per 25 lbs of body weight

Well adults & adolescents 5,000 IUD per day

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/

If that helps any.

They also say that most doctors use the wrong test, you should have the 25(OH)D test.

Edited by Dawn in OH
afterthought

Make sure you take enough to raise your levels. Most people 1000 IU of D3 per 25 pounds to maintain their current level. So you need to go above that to fix your level. I did 9,000 IU of D3 per day and that is safe for healthy adults regardless of current levels. You will correct faster if you take higher doses and at this time of year fast is good.

On the sun thing--not everyone makes vitamin D well through sun. I'd say most don't actually since most of the population is deficient. That's why it's good to know your level. Don't count on the sun as adequate.

Study of those with high levels of sun exposure in Hawaii showed that over 50% had vitamin D levels below 30. Almost none of them were 50 or above. Hawaii is significant because most areas of the world are not at the right latitude to make vitamin D from the sun for much of the year. The average was 22.4 hours a week of Hawaiian sun exposure without sunscreen. In addition, there were a variety of races and skin tones represented. It looks like a well designed study in all ways I can determine. http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/con...130&sendit=Get

Conclusions: These data suggest that variable responsiveness to UVB radiation is evident among individuals, causing some to have low vitamin D status despite abundant sun exposure

Study hypothesized why so many were low even though they had lots of sun exposure:

Possible explanations for this include inadequate cutaneous production of D3, enhanced cutaneous destruction of previtamin D3 or vitamin D3, down-regulation of cutaneous synthesis by sun-induced melanin production, or abnormalities of transport from the skin to the circulation.

If you take vitamin D you need to also balance it by taking a Calcium-Magnesium supplement.

Why?

Just curious.. I heard about this whole vitamin-D3 might help prevent H1N1, so I grabbed some. 1000 and we all take one every morning. (Kids and I - dh won't take them ~ he's a bit scared of vitamins after having an allergic reaction to *something* that *might* have been in a vitamin. We don't know WHAT, since he took several vitamins and an Ibuprofen that morning) ...anyway, what's up with the calcium-magnesium thing?

Why?

Just curious.. I heard about this whole vitamin-D3 might help prevent H1N1, so I grabbed some. 1000 and we all take one every morning. (Kids and I - dh won't take them ~ he's a bit scared of vitamins after having an allergic reaction to *something* that *might* have been in a vitamin. We don't know WHAT, since he took several vitamins and an Ibuprofen that morning) ...anyway, what's up with the calcium-magnesium thing?

A quote from a website explains this better than I can.

Adequate calcium and magnesium, as well as other minerals, are critical parts of vitamin D therapy. Without calcium and magnesium in sufficient quantities, vitamin-D supplementation will withdraw calcium from the bone and will allow the uptake of toxic minerals. Do not supplement vitamin D and do not sunbathe unless you are sure you have sufficient calcium and magnesium to meet your daily needs. Weston Price suggested a minimum of 1,200-2,400 mg of calcium daily. Research suggests that 1,200-1,500 mg is adequate as a supplement for most adults, both men and women. (Magnesium intake should be half that of calcium.)

Here is a link to the entire website if you are interested.

http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnutrition/vitamindmiracle.html

(Note: other websites say the same thing but this one did a good job of saying it in a way I can understand.)