Menu

A Little Flu Shot Humor

I dunno, I think he was trying to use humor to push a lot of vaccination myths and create fear and doubt about them (not sure why he would want to do those things, but he obviously does). I found it rather dumb.

Sorry, I know you were trying to pass along some humor, just not my cup of tea.

Vaccination myths? I didn't see any myths. It is a wonder that you are not given a list of ingredients for you to read before they inject it into your body.

I dunno, I think he was trying to use humor to push a lot of vaccination myths and create fear and doubt about them (not sure why he would want to do those things, but he obviously does). I found it rather dumb.

Sorry, I know you were trying to pass along some humor, just not my cup of tea.

Vaccination myths? I didn't see any myths. It is a wonder that you are not given a list of ingredients for you to read before they inject it into your body.

For example, the amount of mercury is a vacine is tiny. Certainly not a thermometer's worth. It has not been shown to cause any harm, yet he speaks about how mercury is dangerous.

Also, one can easily get the list of medical ingrediants by asking a pharmacist. Vaccine clinics are not the place for that. It is for sit down, take the shot, wait 15 minutes to make sure no reactions, and leave. They have millions of people to vaccinate, the do not have time to be a pharmacist. People should decide before they go to a clinic.

LOL!

I don't think this man was trying to promote any anti-vaccine stuff. I think he was poking fun at the ingredient list (and we all have to admit that the ingredient list is not exactly pleasant to read).

Yes, I know he was just trying to poke fun, but his questions especially, and the whole theme, was very anti-vaccine and imo not very subtle.

:lol::lol: I have seen that video a couple of times and it is still funny. I don't know if it is anti-vax or not, but it is funny no matter what the message is supposed to be.

There was something going around the internet for a while about water. It said something to the effect that it kills people, it causes rust, and all sorts of things before coming out at the end that they were talking about water. I wish I could find it again.

For example, the amount of mercury is a vacine is tiny. Certainly not a thermometer's worth. It has not been shown to cause any harm, yet he speaks about how mercury is dangerous.

Also, one can easily get the list of medical ingrediants by asking a pharmacist. Vaccine clinics are not the place for that. It is for sit down, take the shot, wait 15 minutes to make sure no reactions, and leave. They have millions of people to vaccinate, the do not have time to be a pharmacist. People should decide before they go to a clinic.

Mercury has been shown to cause harm. This is why they warn pregnant women not to eat fish.

Mercury has been shown to cause harm. This is why they warn pregnant women not to eat fish.

The mercury in fish is methyl mercury. The mercury in thimerosal is ethyl mercury. They're different.

NIH

Vaccines

Background

Thimerosal in Vaccines

Since the 1930s, thimerosal has been added to some vaccines and other products as a preservative because it is effective in killing bacteria and in preventing bacterial contamination, particularly in multidose containers. When thimerosal is degraded or metabolized, one product is ethyl mercury, an organic derivative of mercury. The only known side effects of receiving low doses of thimerosal in vaccines have been minor reactions such as redness and swelling at the injection site. In July 1999, U.S. Department of Health and Human Service agencies, The American Academy of Pediatrics, and vaccine manufacturers agreed that thimerosal should be reduced or eliminated in vaccines as a precautionary measure and to reduce exposure to mercury from all sources. The decision to move toward reduced or eliminated thimerosal in vaccines was based on the various Federal guidelines for methyl mercury exposure and the assumption that the health risks from methyl and ethyl mercury were the same.

Ethyl vs. Methyl Mercury

Mercury is a naturally occurring chemical element found throughout the environment. Mercury is found in three forms: as a pure metal (as found in thermometers), as inorganic salts, and as an organic derivative. Humans and wildlife are exposed to all three forms, though most of the mercury in the environment is in metallic or inorganic forms. Organic forms of mercury are more easily absorbed when ingested and some forms are eliminated from the body very slowly. Because mercury is everywhere, it is not possible to prevent all exposure to it. Exposure to high levels of mercury can be toxic. Methyl mercury is the most common organic derivative of mercury and is mainly produced by microorganisms in water and soil. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s safe exposure guidelines for mercury are based on exposure to methyl mercury.

There are important differences, however, between methyl mercury exposure and thimerosal exposure.

• Thimerosal contains ethyl mercury, which is chemically different from methyl mercury.

• The timing and route of exposure are different for these two chemicals.

Methyl Mercury

People usually become exposed to methyl mercury by eating contaminated fish, and methyl mercury can accumulate in the body when contaminated fish are consumed regularly over time. Exposure to high levels of methyl mercury is toxic and can cause mental retardation, cerebral palsy, and seizures in children exposed to methyl mercury before birth. Methyl mercury is passed from the mother to the fetus before birth and to infants through breast milk. The developing brain (before birth) is the most sensitive to damage by methyl mercury. Ethyl Mercury

Prior to the removal of thimerosal from childhood recommended vaccines, infants were exposed to ethyl mercury by intramuscular injection during vaccination, not by ingestion. Furthermore, infants received thimerosal from childhood vaccines that were administered days or months apart. In contrast, methyl mercury exposure, primarily from foods, tends to occur over a longer sustained period of time.

Thimerosal Research

Today, all routinely recommended licensed pediatric vaccines currently being manufactured for the U.S. market are either thimerosal-free or contain markedly reduced amounts of thimerosal. Thimerosal, however, remains in some vaccines given to adults and adolescents, as well as some pediatric vaccines not on the Recommended Childhood and Adolescent Immunization Schedule. Thimerosal is still a common preservative found in vaccines used outside of the United States.

The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) funds thimerosal research that focuses on better understanding what happens to thimerosal once it is introduced into the body and how this compares to current knowledge of methyl mercury pathways. Several research studies have determined that the safe exposure guidelines for mercury, based on methyl mercury exposure, are not appropriate guidelines for thimerosal. Future research will help to establish guidelines for maximal levels for short-term exposure to ethyl mercury.

Sort of like the difference between ethyl alcohol (in liquor), vs. methyl alcohol (methanol) which can cause death even in small amounts. Edited by Perry