Menu

Rod and Staff & Analytical Grammar

We have been using Rod and Staff from 3rd and up and First Language Lessons for the youngers. I really like the look and reviews from Analytical grammar. My only hesitation is I have perfectly good 3-7th Rod and Staff books. Could someone help me decide what would be the best for my family. My youngest is 6yo and is not doing grammar yet. My next youngest is almost 8 and doing R & S 3. My second born is 10 and quickly working through R & S 6. My oldest is almost 13 and just about to begin R & S 7.

I know that Erin from Analytical Grammar posts here, I would appreciate her input, as well.

I'm a big believer of not fixing what isn't broken, regardless the curriculum. Why do you feel a need to switch?

That said, I really like R&S English, and I haven't used JAG/AG or even looked at it. I've found digging through old threads to read reviews by all sorts of posters can give me a fairly good idea of how a curriculum will fit our family dynamic. I've ruled out more than a couple curriculums for us, that looked awesome in the catalog, by doing this. :)

I do like Rod and Staff. We have made a decision add Greek to our language studies next year. We already do Latin. We are also still doing spelling and copywork, which I do not plan to stop. So the thought of dovoting less time to grammar is relieving. I don't usually consider changing curriculums. (I will still defend Saxon math..LOL!) But AG looks really streamlined and intriging.

We have been using Rod and Staff from 3rd and up and First Language Lessons for the youngers. I really like the look and reviews from Analytical grammar. My only hesitation is I have perfectly good 3-7th Rod and Staff books. Could someone help me decide what would be the best for my family. My youngest is 6yo and is not doing grammar yet. My next youngest is almost 8 and doing R & S 3. My second born is 10 and quickly working through R & S 6. My oldest is almost 13 and just about to begin R & S 7.

I know that Erin from Analytical Grammar posts here, I would appreciate her input, as well.

The reason why AG/JAG work for me is because of the unusual sequence. I have a hard time finding the subject and predicate without first eliminating other parts of the sentence. I was horrible at grammar in school, and I now realize it is because I needed to be taught more parts of speech. I couldn't pick out the subject from the rest of the nouns and the predicate from the verbs. :D

Heather

I don't really know what to say. If you had a particular issue with your current curriculum, then I'd be happy to show you how/if AG could help. I feel a little uncomfortable, though, just posting on this board why/how/if AG is better than another program. Does that make sense?

Can you give me a ring at (919) 783-0795? I'm on the east coast and available until 10 p.m. Happy to chat with you and help you if I can.

Blessings,