Menu

leap pad/leap book???? Not sure what I'm looking for and is it worth it?

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Three kids. Three Leapsters. Tons of games. We love them! Ours have been ridiculously durable too. Many, many falls. Two survived a fall in the potty. :ack2: (Suffice it to say, no one is allowed to have a Leapster in the bathroom anymore.) Several games have survived a cycle in the washer.

My one complaint is that DS3 has the Leapster2 only because I wanted his to be a different color than DS6 has. I figured I just wouldn't do the internet hook-up thing, no big deal. Well, I don't but it does frequently tell DS3 to ask me to do it. VERY ANNOYING! I wish I had just bought another green original version and Sharpied names on them. So, if you buy the L-Max (hooks to tv), I would assume you might get the toy telling kiddo to ask mom to hook it up. I don't know. I would buy the original if you don't want to hook to the internet or tv. Also, I highly recommend getting the AC adapter/charger combo. It has saved us a ton of money and when batteries are dead, they can hook them to the wall (or in the car) and play them.

Yes, the Leapster. Both my big kids have one, and my youngest is getting his own for Christmas. My oldest has the "original" and she has gotten too big for it. (She'll be 9 ths month). My middle kiddo just turned 6 yesterday, and, although he prefers his Nintendo DS, he still pulls out his Leapster often. I have a feeling when his little brother gets one for Christmas, it will be even more often.

The one my youngest is getting for Christmas is the Star Wars version. It comes with the Star Wars game, and I got it on clearance at Target a few months ago, for $20. The Leapster itself is typically about $50. I'd look around for good deals.

What is the difference between the Leapster and the Leapster2? I can't figure it out...My dd just turned 7, she has had a Leapster for 3 years and it gets alot of use. She wants a Didj but all my research shows lots of problems with it. Is a Leapster still appropriate for a 7yo? Should we upgrade to a Leapster2? Is it an upgrade?

Thanks!

Jennifer

What is the difference between the Leapster and the Leapster2? I can't figure it out...My dd just turned 7, she has had a Leapster for 3 years and it gets alot of use. She wants a Didj but all my research shows lots of problems with it. Is a Leapster still appropriate for a 7yo? Should we upgrade to a Leapster2? Is it an upgrade?

Thanks!

Jennifer

We bought a Didj for our son (4) and he loves it. He had a Leapster for a year and the speaker started to get all wonky. So we decided to jump up to the Didj instead of replacing the Leapster. We have had NO problems with it.

Check out the LeapFrog website. They have some great deals. We purchased our Didj with 2 games, three skins and a protective shell all for $40.:D They also put some of the games on sale for $9.99 instead of the regular price of $29.99.

Guest Alte Veste Academy

Thanks!

Jennifer

The Leapster2 is not an upgrade in level or skill. The same games can be played on all Leapster models. The difference with the Leapster2 is that you can hook it up to the computer to track progress online. I don't use that feature and find it annoying for the thing to keep telling DS3 to ask me to hook it to the computer.

I don't know about problems with the Didj itself but I sure wish they would come out with more games, especially those that don't revolve around characters. The many character-free game choices is one of my favorite things about Leapster. DS6 is growing out of the Leapster games skill-wise and I'm trying to decide between the Didj and and DS, investigating to see if there are any/enough educational DS games to make it worthwhile to get that instead.

HI

I am not sure exactly what I"m looking for. It's a leap pad product but about the size of a Nintendo DS and has games for ages 3-5 including Letter Factory. Does this sound familiar? And anyone who has one is it worth the money? thanks

Leapster. I wish we hadn't gotten it, because,

1) if ds2, my media kid, plays it for more than 15 minutes, he's grumpy--so we have to closely monitor it, and

2) thinking about it, they haven't played it in the past month or so.

The games we got are educational--letter factory, a math game, "1st grade" (which they like)--so we're not putting trash in their minds, but I'm not convinced that it's actually BENEFITTING them.

Sure, it's better than a non-educational video game, but I'm not convinced that an educational video game is better than no game--

But I'm just an anti-gaming kind of grouchy mom--

Betsy