Menu

need suggestions for friend's son

A friend called yesterday. She is at her wits end about her 8 year old son. He has been kicked out of Montessori school and Catholic school. He's in PS and the teacher calls and emails her EVERYDAY to tell her that her son isn't focusing in school. My friend says he doesn't listen to her at all. (Honestly, part of him not listening at home is that dh is not hands on with the children at all - this is according to her, not me). I encouraged her to talk with her pediatrician and get him tested, but she is so afraid of meds. Then I told her that she needs to get the idea of meds out of her mind until she could find out if her son has a disorder. I suspect autism as others independent of me have said so after meeting her son once. I did not tell her that as I think it is the job of a professional to make that determination. However, the fear of meds for ADHD has her afraid to see the pediatrician to get a referral. What can I say, if anything, to encourage her? Her son is not improving in his behavior or in his schoolwork. He is a smart child and this behavior is affecting his work.

Louise

Do you know if she has tried changing his diet? A lot of kids (mine included) are not able to focus if they eat a sugary breakfast with little protein. I just wonder if adjusting his diet might be something to try before going to the doctor. Of course, I think she should go the ped, but this may give her something to try while she's working up her courage. After reading the threads about HFCS and its effects, I wonder if the "epidemic" of ADHD children in this country is just another fallout from the fact that HFCS is found in so many products we Americans don't think twice about eating and feeding our kids.

Do you know if she has tried changing his diet? A lot of kids (mine included) are not able to focus if they eat a sugary breakfast with little protein. I just wonder if adjusting his diet might be something to try before going to the doctor. Of course, I think she should go the ped, but this may give her something to try while she's working up her courage. After reading the threads about HFCS and its effects, I wonder if the "epidemic" of ADHD children in this country is just another fallout from the fact that HFCS is found in so many products we Americans don't think twice about eating and feeding our kids.

I was thinking this too. My 6 yr old CANNOT focus if he eats anything with red or blue dyes in it. Food allergies have been known to cause those behaviors too.

. What can I say, if anything, to encourage her? Her son is not improving in his behavior or in his schoolwork. He is a smart child and this behavior is affecting his work.

Louise

You might try giving her this website where she'll meet up with a lot of parents who have been in her shoes. Sometimes it's easier for strangers online who've BTDT to make the case than it is for friends.

http://www.conductdisorders.com/forum/index.php

I was thinking this too. My 6 yr old CANNOT focus if he eats anything with red or blue dyes in it. Food allergies have been known to cause those behaviors too.

My friend has five - two of the younger ones have food allergies to dairy and peanuts so she is already careful about the food dyes and candy and milk, etc. The teacher told her that she didn't think that her son had the "classic" behavior for food issues or even ADHD. She thinks that it is something more. And my friend said that it's more than just focusing. One example from the teacher is that when she tells the kids to take out a book, he always just sits there. He doesn't do it and just says no. This is every single time. And he always has a faraway look in his eyes.

I would encourage her that an evaluation is a good place to start, to find out if there are tools she can use to help him be able to learn and to be able to do well in life. It does not need to lead to meds necessarily, but she needs to be able to start with some concrete knowledge of what she is dealing with.

2 stories...I am homeschooling a friend's son who was having problems in school, not learning to read and started having explosive tantrums that were getting physical. His mom was worried about autism, he ended up diagnosed with an auditory processing disorder and an anxiety disorder. No meds, but we have a direction to work towards, began learning some tools to help him focus and learn.

next friend, having problems, mostly behavioral with her child. She was afraid to have her accessed, didn't want a 'label'. Well, it was finally done, the child was 'just' outside of the autism spectrum, so close the Dr. struggled with whether or not to diagnose it. So, no 'label', but the mom now has some incredible insight into what will set the child off, how having routines helps the child...also found a surprise processing disorder which explained the sudden problems in school. Having help and a direction was very freeing for this mom.

I would encourage her to seek a base of knowledge, then she can decide how to proceed.