Menu

How do you handle school when your child is playing...

dumb. (Sorry, I can't think of a better word right now.) I have been sick this week and my patience is aready thin, but today DS has pretended not to know ANYTHING!! It took 2 hours to complete a 15minute Bible assignment with me practically doing it for him. I am tired and frustated. Although he shows resistance to learning at times it has never been this bad. Honestly, I just want to stop for today but wonder if that will send the wrong mesage. I'm wondering what others do when children aren't cooperating.:glare:

dumb. (Sorry, I can't think of a better word right now.) I have been sick this week and my patience is aready thin, but today DS has pretended not to know ANYTHING!! It took 2 hours to complete a 15minute Bible assignment with me practically doing it for him. I am tired and frustated. Although he shows resistance to learning at times it has never been this bad. Honestly, I just want to stop for today but wonder if that will send the wrong mesage. I'm wondering what others do when children aren't cooperating.:glare:

Well yesterday when I discovered that ds9 was delibertly putting wrong answers in to an online math test (one of the only things that goes straight to the VA teacher) I just began to cry. It was the culmination of a whole day of that kind of stuff.

Sorry if you were looking for helpful ideas. :tongue_smilie: OTOH, he did straighten right up after that.

We've sometimes stopped for the day but with the understanding that there are no electronics (video games) until the day is made up.

Just warning my son that he's getting close to the limit helps him make the decision to stay on task better. But we did have a week or two where he didn't get any gaming over the weekend since we hadn't made up the day yet.

It could also be that your son is feeling sick too...and it may just take a day or two to get back to normal and in the routine. Hope tomorrow goes better for you! :grouphug:

My son has a habit of doing this too. There is nothing that makes me crazier than this. I do a few things. One thing is too remind him that going slower will not mean he will be doing less, it just means that it will take us longer. I try REALLY REALLY hard not to let it get me mad because I know that is the reaction he is going for. I also tell him that I am obviously not explaining it very well, so he's going to have to do it with Dad tonight. (And Daddy is not NEARLY as patient as I am, so this often motivates him to shape up.) And, a couple weeks ago during a PMS fit I burst into tears and said that I was failing him as a teacher. This made him feel so bad that he was a new boy for several weeks! :-) LOL I didn't do it to manipulate, but I'll have to remember to keep that one in my toolbelt. :-) He is still telling me I'm not failing him as a teacher (which is sweet!)

What would he do if you wrote all his assignments for the day, gathered his books and told him that if he wanted to waste his own time, that's fine; he can do it in his room? When all the work is done, or when he is willing to respect the time you are spending on his education and quit messing around, he can come out? I've done this. It hasn't lasted the whole day yet.

Ah, the dumb blonde routine. No offense intended, I just happen to have a real blondie here who has that act perfected.

I try really, really hard not to lose my patience. And then I hang on like a toddler who doesn't want to eat her vegetables. I do not let her escape the assignment at hand, even if I have to re-teach it twelve times and it takes 3 times longer than I planned.

I used to just give her time to think and re-read stuff, but then I figured that a lot of the time she does this, it is just a ploy to make me get exasperated and give up so she won't have to do it that day (mostly happens with math...she hates math...). Anyway, she has had to learn that I am not going to just throw in the towel.

She almost always comes around when I announce that the next step is to go back and re-do all of last week's lessons.... suddenly she is able to recall all sorts of things!

I usually remind her that playing dumb is not cute or funny and then leave the room for a bit (she has to stay at the kitchen table until the work is done). 9 times out of 10 she does the work correctly and brings it to me so she won't be stuck sitting in the dining room by herself. The remaining 10% of the time I prep for battle and go back in after 20 minutes or so to see if she is bored enough to pay attention and learn. Only twice has she just refused to work on something I knew she was capable of and both times the cure was running around the house ten times followed by a long nap.