Menu

Need help with dd12 with dyslexia?

kareng

My dd is 12 and has from the get-go been a slow reader. We did Accelerated Christian Ed (ACE) for Grade 1 and she learned her phonics. We are now doing mostly Sonlight Core 6. Reading continues to be difficult as does cursive writing and Math. I think she may be dyslexic. We are considering having her tested. Dd took the student screening on www.brightsolutions.us website of Susan Barton (Orton-Gillingham method). My dd was not able to determine how many syllables in words very accurately and had difficulty distinguishing different sounds from each other. Susan's recommendation is for Lindamood Bell tutoring. Really can't see how we can afford tutoring (A friend of mine has spent over $5000 on her son) but know that we need to do something for my daughter is stuck and very very frustrated. I've seen the following suggested in other threads - Explode the Code, Spell to Write and Read, Writing Road To Reading, Phonics Pathways, Sing Spell Read Write, Seeing Stars.

By the way, she is very artistic and not the workbook type of student.

Any thoughts on how to proceed?

We used the REWARDS program with my son last year. I like that it is designed as an intervention program for older children. We opted not to have our son tested at this time, and the REWARDS program helped his increase his reading fluency.

You also might do a search in the special needs section of this board or also pose your question over there.

Have you always homeschooled or was she in public school? Just wondering if she was taught a lot of sight words...

REWARDS by Sopris West is an excellent suggestion. I used that along with the Blend phonics reader (using a notched card) and phonogram cards. DS jumped by 2-3 grade levels.

I find that my dyslexic son needs a lot of repetition. We use Math Mammoth and it is the perfect fit.

As far as cursive writing, we haven't even worked on that yet. This is his first year being homeschooled.

ETA: Do a lot of searches on this board - there is a wealth of information!

Edited by lisabees