Menu

Planning Ahead for High School -would like advice from the BTDT crowd

I know it seems early but I want to have a rough plan in place so that we are where we need to be for high school. I 've been looking at the scope and sequence of the more elite private schools around here and trying to plan.

I have a 4th and 5th grader and I'm planning for next year. We use Ambleside Online Year 4 and I plan to use it all the way though so my DD will graduate after doing year 11 and my son should complete all years. I'm relatively happy with their selections.

My dd10 is about a semester behind in math as she is in Singapore 4B and seems to be moving at a snail's pace but we plan to go year around with math until she catches up. My DS9 is in Singapore 5B. I think we are definitely on track to start Algebra 1 in 8th grade and perhaps even 7th for my son. My son is more math oriented than my dd and his aspirations will require him to get to at least Calculus and probably beyond. My dd will probably stop at Pre-Caluculus or Calculus. I am looking at several options for when we finish 6B singapore and do plan for them to take some of the higher math at the local community collage.

Science is my struggle. My son is also more science oriented than my dd (though both are science oriented and have science majors planned) so I would like to continue combining them so I need to plan on a rotation for middle school/high school to get the requirements in and it also one we plan to do dual enrollment for (especially to get labs in). However, the dual enrollment option has been under fire here so I want to be prepared if I have to do it myself too. Ambleside uses Apologia for the main courses and it seems one that most of the academics co-ops use. I am unsure about it. Is it rigorous enough? Will it prepare them for dual enrollment or college. We are not YEC and to be honest, I am not opposed to using secular materials,

So I guess my main question is -what would your scope and sequence be for science for 6th grade-12th for kids who will likely be science majors?

Here is a thread that discusses science prep and scope and sequence:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=838883#poststop

My younger ds is a science guy, and we did a mish mash of interest led science up until 9th grade, and he was quite well prepared for advanced high school level texts. He has read science magazines, listened to pod casts, and read science books for years, so has a very broad knowledge base and a still intact curiosity about science.

This year we are doing Biology at home with a Campbell biology text and teaching company DVDs and various lab supplies. Others on this board have done chemistry at home, and used Conceptual Physics at home.

Have to cut this short but that thread should get your started!

:bigear:

I'm in the same boat, Aunt Pol. Ds (9) wants to go to USNA. How on earth do I prepare him for this highly focused math & science school? We are YEC, but I've heard things all over the map about Apologia, so I'm still unsure about where to go with our road map. :scared:

Well, you can start with the USNA guidelines for homeschoolers and then work backwards from there.

Not a homeschooling suggestion, but your son can indicate interest in USNA at any time and get info from them. This should also put you on a list to get notifications when there are public briefings on USNA (these typically are scheduled around away football games, the Christmas break and the spring college fair season).

As a USNA grad, my suggestion to all candidates (homeschooled or not) is to take on all the science, math and writing classes that you can get. Also to find a place where you can grow as a leader.

I know it seems early but I want to have a rough plan in place so that we are where we need to be for high school.

A few general thoughts as you begin high school planning:

1. Be prepared to be flexible.

Children change dramatically in the high school years; they suddenly discover interests/talents, drop old interests, etc., so that a child who expresses interest in science at age 9 or 10 may find completely different interests in high school and end up heading into yet another different career path by college age.

2. Ambleside is heavily humanities-based, rather than math/science based.

As you move into schooling the high school years, you may want to look at Ambleside as more of a "cafeteria option" rather than a straight curriculum plan -- by cafeteria, I mean look at Ambleside as a wide assortment of offerings to choose from, rather than trying to do all of it. That will allow you more time and ability to go deeper into math and science.

3. Do some advance research.

Do some online research about some of the colleges you think your students might be headed towards. Print off and keep handy the list of credits and extracurricular activities (Math competitions; Science Fairs; Leadership activities; etc.) they like to see graduating high school students have who want to enter into math/science studies.

4. Consider having your students learn Latin.

The fields of biology, medicine, animal sciences, chemistry, etc., all heavily use Latin roots and terms in naming of organizisms, medicines, chemicals, elements, and processes.

5. Consider formal Logic.

A Formal Logic course somewhere along 8th-10th grade can be very helpful to a student heading into the fields which require logical thinking such as math, science, engineering, research, etc.

5. Include a lot of hands-on, lab reports, and the scientific method in your science.

6. Even now, enter science fairs at the city, regional, and state level.

At the middle school and high school levels, so few students enter genuine projects that often prize money and scholarships go unawarded.

7. Supplement your science program.

In addition to doing lots of experiments, watch science documentaries and videos (ex: Schlessinger Media science DVDs); go on field trips to science departments at your local university; try an online science program such as The Jason Project, the Noonday Project, etc.

My dd10 is about a semester behind in math as she is in Singapore 4B and seems to be moving at a snail's pace but we plan to go year around with math until she catches up. My DS9 is in Singapore 5B.

Actually, your DD, doing Singapore 4A/B in grade 5 is right on track, NOT behind, as the average American student tends to do the Singapore Primary math that is a number below their grade level. Your DS is quite advanced, doing Singapore 5 in grade 4. You may find that he may suddenly slow down after finishing Singapore 5 and 6, and that the logic/abstract portions of his brain need to have time to mature (typically around age 13-14, but some students mature younger) to be able to more easily connect with the abstract math topics of Algebra 1 and Algebra 2. I have seen several homeschooled boys who are very advanced in math suddenly stall out trying to do Algebra in grade 6 or 7; often, just slowing down the pace at that point for and taking 1-1/2 years or so to do the Algebra helps.

Science is my struggle. My son is also more science oriented than my dd (though both are science oriented and have science majors planned) so I would like to continue combining them so I need to plan on a rotation for middle school/high school...

To keep them together in science, and if they are advanced in science, this is a typical science sequence:

DS 5th / DD 6th = Astronomy and/or Earth Science

DS 6th / DD 7th = general science (overview of a variety of science topics and the scientific method)

DS 7th / DD 8th = Physical Science (general overview of Chemistry & Physics topics)

DS 8th / DD 9th = Biology (best if already completed or be taking Algebra 1)

DS 9th / DD 10th = Chemistry (best if already completed or be taking Algebra 1)

DS 10th / DD 11th = Physics

DS 11th / DD 12th = Advanced Biology, Chemistry or Physics; Anatomy; Microbiology or Marine Biology, or more in-depth science of their interest

Ambleside uses Apologia for the main courses and it seems one that most of the academics co-ops use. I am unsure about it. Is it rigorous enough?

Here are some past threads on this topic:

Secular Rigorous Science?

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60305&highlight=Apologia+rigorous

Your Recommendations on High School Science for Future Vet

(discussed Apologia and rigorous science)

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41265&highlight=Apologia+rigorous

BJU or Apologia for Science Oriented Student?

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23798&highlight=Apologia+rigorous

Is Apologia Rigorous Enough for Student Headed Toward Science & Engineering?

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27762&highlight=Apologia+rigorous

Is Apologia Chemistry Rigorous (How Does it Compare to Public School Chemistry)"

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5962&highlight=Apologia+rigorous

What to Use for High School College Prep Chemistry?

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2104&highlight=Apologia+rigorous

BEST of luck as you plot your course toward high school! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Well, you can start with the USNA guidelines for homeschoolers and then work backwards from there.

Not a homeschooling suggestion, but your son can indicate interest in USNA at any time and get info from them. This should also put you on a list to get notifications when there are public briefings on USNA (these typically are scheduled around away football games, the Christmas break and the spring college fair season).

As a USNA grad, my suggestion to all candidates (homeschooled or not) is to take on all the science, math and writing classes that you can get. Also to find a place where you can grow as a leader.

Thanks Sebastian!

It looks like they recommend:

One year of chemistry, with lab if possible.

One year of physics, with lab if possible.

Do they care (in your opinion) which publisher's curricula is used to accomplish this? That is, would they even know the difference if a homeschooler used Bob Jones Chemistry versus Apologia Chemistry or {fill-in-the-blank} chemistry? Eek! I'm so worried that my son's dream may be shattered by some ignorant choice on my part.

P.S. Just saw your post Lori. Off to check out all those fabulous looking links.

Edited by Heather in WI

Thanks Lori

We are taking Latin for Children Primer A this year and plan to continue Latin. My son especially loves Latin. We also have logic -right now we are doing the Logic Liftoff series which is actually a bit too easy for DS9. I need to look at what he needs to do next.

DS should finish 6B in 5th grade and then I plan to do a year of pre-Algebra so that he can mature and then try Algebra 1 in 7th grade. He picks up math concepts easily but I think he will need to maturation year as he is young for his grade as it is. If anything, just the copying of the problems to his own paper will likely be a key "issue". (My husband disagrees and thinks he can handle Algebra 1 in 6th grade).

THanks for the science sequence -that is what I was thinking. We do a science fair via our co-op but I would like to look into doing a "real" one. The local schools here don't do them until middle school because they don't teach scientific method until then!!!! He does Lego League and we do a lot of citizen science projects in our community via the museum. I will look into more opportunities as he matures. We have visited UNC for Math day and Archaeology day. He ended up teaching the grad students card tricks lol.

It will be so hard to limit any of the Ambleside. DS is a voracious reader and just loves the books Ambleside has. He loves the Charlotte Mason method of slow readings. He loves history and wants to join the SCA. He takes a historical swordsmanship class, has worked with his dad to build his own chainmail, recreates battles with minatures, and is reading Sun Tzu. My dd probably wouldn't mind though (she's smart but not interested in academics at all unless it involves animals or performing arts or socializing-though she gets it done and I think she is amazing in other areas). Her desires are to be a vet or dolphin trainer or horse trainer. The latter two I see as typical preteen interest (They replaced paleontologist from her younger years) but vet has always been there (her dad was a vet tech in collage). She does volunteer at dog park, has dissected sharks, assisted in animal surgury at vet's, swam with dolphin's, etc. She's applying for a slot in the Girls in Science program at local museum for 6th grade next year but there are only 18 slots.

Again Thanks for your informative reply!!! You confirmed some thoughts and gave me some fresh ideas!