Menu

Scheduling TOG

Jennifer

Karen,

I see you mention in your schedule that you are using 2" binders for the boys. Did you decide against the spiral-bound workbooks? I love the workbook idea, especially because we travel a lot, and I think it would be easy to grab the workbook and go. But did you find that things change over the course of the unit and they are not practical?

Karen,

I see you mention in your schedule that you are using 2" binders for the boys. Did you decide against the spiral-bound workbooks? I love the workbook idea, especially because we travel a lot, and I think it would be easy to grab the workbook and go. But did you find that things change over the course of the unit and they are not practical?

No, I'm using the workbooks. I needed to update the page to reflect that and other tweaks I've made since the beginning of the year. It's updated now.

but it is very dependent on what you choose to do within the TOG week at hand.

Y2Unit1_Week6.jpg

I plan with this worksheet that I created- it allows me to put the whole week on 1 page, the objectives and each thing I'd like to cover. Then I put the details of the books we'll used in the middle column and then break up the work for week on the very left.

We are doing TOG for 30 min each day, Mon-Thurs right now.

For LG, what is important to us:

-Reading on-level books to accomplish the objectives of the week

-Mapwork, fulfilling the geography objectives by finding locations on our map

- Narrations (written and oral)/completion of the literature student activity page

- dd7 wants at least 1 project a week to do, hands-on or art oriented preferred

- coloring pages are optional for us (usually to highlight the people/events of the week)

- copywork 1x a week at least

- covering vocabulary terms orally as we encounter them

Each TOG homeschool is just as different as each WTM based homeschool, we each have different ideas and objectives we want to cover.

Wow Jessica! Your planning sheet is beautiful. :p

After reading all the TOG materials I could find, I gleaned these scheduling points and put them together. My kids are UG, LG, and DIA. Although our week never looks exactly like this, this list gives me a starting point and keeps me on track. Let me know if I missed something!

Before Meeting

I read teachers notes

choose and print evaluations, maps, student worksheets, etc

print student threads

Monday - Planning Meeting with kids, usually involves tea or hot chocolate

read the "general information for all ages" aloud

have kids write out their weekly reading assignments on notebook paper

hand-out and introduce printed materials (except evaluations)

show kids what format evaluations will be for this week

introduce writing assignment

assign vocab words and have kids make cards

*begin history reading

*later that day, kids tell mom what activity they would like to do

Tuesday

read

hands-on project or read-a-loud

vocab review

Wednesday

map work

history discussion

writing assignment: pre-writing

vocab review

Thursday

timeline

correct & discuss changes to writing assignment

hands-on project or read-aloud

Friday

literary discussion

polish & present writing assignment

evaluations

No, I'm using the workbooks. I needed to update the page to reflect that and other tweaks I've made since the beginning of the year. It's updated now.

Karen, I have a question about how you copy and paste the student questions in your workbook. How do you do that since they are a pdf file? Do you convert them first? I'm starting to seriously consider doing this.

I downloaded the free three weeks, but I didn't see anything about scheduling. Do you have a "TOG Time" each day? Do you do different things on different days? Any help is appreciated!

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer... I love your picture! *Ü*

Mondays are our big day... its the day we go over the weeks plan so to speak. Dole out what I expect and explain everything.

We try to get History done Monday-Thursday. Sometimes its earlier. Literature is all week, people, timeline work, lap books I try to schedule, but a lot of the time, its when we have time.

Wenesday if I choose a writing assignment, it is begun on this day...Fridays are for discussions and for finishing work not completed.

My computer crashed a month or so ago... so I have lost my fill in schedules.... so I cant share... sorry... :(

Karen, I have a question about how you copy and paste the student questions in your workbook. How do you do that since they are a pdf file? Do you convert them first? I'm starting to seriously consider doing this.

No, I don't have to convert it. I never knew I could do it, but one day I just selected the text, copied, and pasted into my publishing software. It does not stay formatted though, but since I move things anyway I don't mind it.