Menu

This Mommy Hates Writing Strands...I need to switch to something else...

Staci in FL

I loved the price and the simplicity of Writing Strands at first. I now despise it. I can't even describe what I don't like about it, other that I can't figure out how to really apply it across the curriculum.

I've looked at IEW and I'm not thrilled with that as an option because of the style issues that lots of people complain about.

I'm seriously considering Classical Writing. I had veered away from it because I have a very reluctant fifth grader writer. However, she did well with Writing Tales, so maybe Classical Writing would work for her.

Any advice is appreciated.

Staci

I hated WS--passionately.

I like CW Aesop. At first we followed it exactly, now we use the methods more than the actual book. DD will take a story relevant to our history lesson if we have one and use that instead. I really agree with the idea that young ones don't need to be applying creative writing principles until they're comfortable with the mechanics of writing.

I resisted using IEW until this year when my kids used it as a part of the co-op they are in. It does result in what seems to be "artificial" styling, but the kids have LOVED the papers they have turned out and have been highly motivated to write. My reluctant writer has enthusiastically written a paragraph a week using this method. Not only that, he is broadening his vocabulary. At least several times a week I hear, "Mom, that's one of my vocabulary words!" when he hears something in a book or on television. I know the stylistic techniques seem forced and contrived, especially in the beginning of the program. The more we are using it, though, I can see how this method really works. They are building a toolbox that they can use more naturally over time.

I hated Writing Strands too. It just was not taking me where I wanted to go soon enough--the exercises seemed so pointless. I wanted instruction in writing reports and essays, not exercises in writing tons of dialogue and controlling tenses, or doing surveys!! I was frustrated feeling like I couldn't ask ds to write a simple report on a subject area because he wouldn't have a clue how to begin. I stuck with Writing Strands far too long, resisting IEW because of the price. When I finally tried IEW, I wished I'd taken the plunge much sooner. The stylistic techniques do grate on me, and right now I do not require them of dd (my second child), but the structure that is taught is extremely helpful. Fifth grade would be a good age to try it out, too. Mine were 10th and 7th grade, and I felt like I was out of time with my 10th grader. Like the previous poster said, you may find you like IEW. The structure part of it is very good, as I said. You may find the stylistic techniques a useful way to get some style going if your child has none, or you can use them judiciously (or not at all) if your child already has a nice natural style.

Anyway, whether you are attracted to IEW or feel some other program would be a better fit, I would encourage you to ditch Writing Strands and try something else.

CW has been nice for us. I have a 5th grader ds and 4th dd who both are doing Aesop B. I like it because I can tailor it to their needs. They don't have a lot of trouble with spelling so I don't have to spend a lot of time on that. It's intimidating at first, but once you read through it it's not so bad. It's very thorough, and I feel it backs up our R&S Grammar and Latin nicely. It gives me the freedom to do R&S orally instead of written work.

These comments are very helpful. Half the time I think I should just order both, try each out for two weeks and sell whatever doesn't work! Has anyone done this????

Rosy, the fact that you are able to use the CW concepts with your history stories is probably the comment that will make be buy the thing in the morning. I also don't want to be forcing creative writing, but I was afraid that CW wouldn't enable to me go across the curriculum very well. So, thanks for that.

Thanks again for the assistance. I know how busy you all are and I'm grateful you took the time to respond.

Staci