Menu

at what age...

do you start leaving your oldest in charge for a short amount of time...like 10-15 minutes? This is the deal...we live in a tiny town (400 people)...so the post office is down town...about 5 blocks away. We usually walk together to get the mail....or pick it up on our way out of town....but I have often wondered if I could leave my 3 kids (ages 9,7 and 5) alone for the 5-10 minutes it would take me to go to the post office and get the mail and mail a box. (the box is about 15 lbs which is why we are NOT walking today)...so, is 9 old enough to be put "in charge" for that amount of time and for me to not be on the homefront? I know it sort of depends on the kid...Hannah is responsible and would probably do just fine...oh, their dad is just across the parking lot at church (he's the pastor)...so if something did go terribly wrong, one of the kids could run over there. So what do you think??? Thanks.

They'd prolly be fine, especially with their father right across the street, but is it legal where you live? Some places have laws about how old a child has to be to 'babysit' or stay home alone (we don't here - it's up to the parent to assess maturity/etc) -- then again, if Dad is right across the street, I don't know how the law would view that...

I'd check the laws first.

Oh wait - Dad is 'across the parking lot' ..not street ... do you guys live on church property? If you live in a house on the church property, then it might not even *be* "children home alone" ---- because he's still on the property.

It truly does depend on your children. They would probably be fine, especially with your dh just a few yards away. If you're a little concerned, I find that if I turn on the tv, they don't move for the few min. I'm gone.:D

yea...that would work here too..the problem would be turning the TV OFF when I got back...:001_smile:

I would be okay with my oldest at 9 years old staying at home alone for those few minutes. I would not be okay leaving her in charge of my then 7 year old and 6 year old.

That's what I was about to say. I would let my 9yo stay home alone for a short time knowing that he could handle protecting himself for that time, but I wouldn't want to leave him in a situation where he would be responsible for protecting others... even if it is just for a couple of minutes.

I've been accused of being highly overprotective, so take this with a grain: I wouldn't leave my 9 yo in charge of youngers. But that's just me. I started leaving them for a few minutes when my oldest was 13 or so. Of course, in your situation with help just across the lot, it might not be an issue. Could you talk on the phone with them while you walk?

I agree with leaving the 9yo, but not in charge of others. The problem isn't only the responsibility of the 9yo, but the unpredictable nature of a 7 and especially 5yo. But you know your kids. I couldn't leave my now 11yo dd, with my son until she was 9yo because she is a great kid most of the time, but known to go flying off of the staircase, jumping off of swings and climbing into trees. I was more worried about her getting herself hurt and him having to deal with the emergency. If my dh was on the property....I would be more likely to have okayed it though.

If you really need to go alone can you deliver the 5yo to her dad for the few minutes needed? Or go when dh is home for lunch?

Will they have a phone so they can call you if need be? Do they normally get along well? Do the youngers view the older as a loving leader or potential dictator?

You know your children. For me when my oldest was 10 I began to feel that they could manage for a few minutes without me.