Menu

X-post: Fine motor delay & writing

If you know dc has a diagnosed fine motor delay, but no other obvious cognitive contra-indicators would you go ahead with academic work with some writing accomodations?

I'm thinking of next year, when we start WWE & FLL, so this maybe premature, since ds is doing much better and is getting OT for fine motor skills, and there is a decent chance his handwriting skills will be on grade level next year.

But...if they are not, would it be reasonable to skip (or minimize) the copywork and just continue with teaching printing at his skill level (with HWOT) for handwriting? He can narrate, memorize and comprehend things just fine, but his fingers actually have neurological delays due to SPD. Could we go ahead with the narration/grammar parts of WWE & FLL and just have me write the parts that need to be written or something? How have those of you who dealt with fine motor delays handled this issue? I don't really want to hold him back curriculum-wise just because he can't physically write when he could gain so much from the narration and memorization!

I carefully chose curriculums that did not require as much writing and then when my son was over done, I did the writing for him or we did it orally.

Have you tried vision therapy? Great breakthroughs for my son's handwriting didn't happen until after we began Vision therapy. Part of his delays were caused by his inability to accurately see the letters.

If you know dc has a diagnosed fine motor delay, but no other obvious cognitive contra-indicators would you go ahead with academic work with some writing accomodations?

I'm thinking of next year, when we start WWE & FLL, so this maybe premature, since ds is doing much better and is getting OT for fine motor skills, and there is a decent chance his handwriting skills will be on grade level next year.

But...if they are not, would it be reasonable to skip (or minimize) the copywork and just continue with teaching printing at his skill level (with HWOT) for handwriting? He can narrate, memorize and comprehend things just fine, but his fingers actually have neurological delays due to SPD. Could we go ahead with the narration/grammar parts of WWE & FLL and just have me write the parts that need to be written or something? How have those of you who dealt with fine motor delays handled this issue? I don't really want to hold him back curriculum-wise just because he can't physically write when he could gain so much from the narration and memorization!

Yes, yes, yes!! You hit the nail on the head. Since you are his teacher he doesn't have to be held back academically due to fine motor problems.

Both of my older sons have fine motor problems and SPD so I'm right there with you. I am learning which curriculums require more and less writing, bought so many things that I had to resale once I figure this out. I've been pretty happy with FLL and WWE for both my 2nd and 5th graders. I have been using a CW Primer for my 2nd grader but modified the writing assignments alot.

We are doing HWT, I do brushing and integrate other kinds of fine motor therapies at home since we don't currently have an OT (insurance problems) and when I can see that he has had enough on the writing I take narration, let him spell the correct words out to me complete with punctuation and capitalization. Also good is letting the kids write on the white board. Writing at an angle develops those muscles differently and is great for them.

Mix it up, give them frequent breaks on the writing intensive stuff, manipulatives when possible (for instance I have the boys roll out playdough or play with small puzzle pieces while I do read-alouds) and don't grade their other work based on the handwriting. His assigned "copywork" and handwriting papers have to be neat and legible. Other stuff we do our best and I just have him verbally correct letters that are flipped. Only occasionally will I make him recopy something from other subject areas due to it being illegible.

I agree with Verity's recommendations! There's no reason to hold him back academically!

My 11 year old daughter has fine motor delays (alongside SPD and ADD!), and handwriting has always been a struggle for her. Because of the fine motor delays, she also has difficulty learning to type.

Rather than hold her back academically, I often allowed her to do things orally and it's worked really well for us. However, I've always tried to be mindful of stretching her a little without frustrating her, though copywork and activities to encourage fine motor development. Her oral composition skills are wonderful... I just wish she could write down what she says!