Menu

Saxon Math K

Tanya in KS

Have any of you used Saxon Math K? I have tried Horizons K for my 5 yo and I do not like how it is taught. Ex... addition facts - all different sets of numbers are taught - 2+3=5, 1+3=4, etc... maybe I am missing something but I think I should stick with what I know works for my children and I have used Saxon before and got dupped into something else:glare: Anyway... I have not used Saxon K before and I do not think she is ready for a 1st grade math K yet so thought would be appreciated.

Horizons K covers the same level of material that Saxon 1 does, I believe. I used Saxon K w/ B. It was very enjoyable, gentle program. (Lots of telling "stories" with teddy bear counter, sorting, etc. Little, if any writing at all.) I think quite a few people use it for PK math.

I have both Saxon K and 1 and Saxon K is definitely better suited for PK. Saxon 1 would be a better choice for a 5yo IMHO, but you could always go through Saxon K at a more accelerated pace than they suggest, if you feel the need, before starting 1. I'd take a look at the TOC that JudoMom linked.

Yes, saxon K is very basic. I put my Ker into saxon 1 last year. K begins with a lot of AB patterns, counting teddys and such. If you are wanting addition and stuff, I'd go with saxon 1.

:iagree: To me Saxon K is a nice "warm up" for doing school and fits in nicely for preK. It's a gentle way of easing little ones into math, getting familiar with calendars, counting, ...etc. Saxon 1 is still very gentle, but it also has more math content.

I like Saxon k. I did it with my son when he was close to turning 6. We went through it in about 5 months. I think it's an important start. I don't think my son was ready to jump into math 1 at all. I started my second son on it and had to stop at lesson 40 because he was not recalling his numbers at all. It has been 5 months of number repetion and he still needs more time. He is 5.5 yo. I could not have jumped him into math 1. All kids learn differently.