Menu

CW- Homer question

lovemykids

Do you mean selecting your own pieces of literature? Using just the core book to do the program instead of the Student Workbook?

I haven't done that, and I think it would be difficult. Possible, but not easy.

Yes, exactly. I guess I didn’t word it the right way. LOL. Why would it be hard? I remember a long time ago parents were using it this way because they didn’t have a student workbook.

I wonder if they changed the core book.

Thanks for your reply! (I love your siggy, LOL!)

I wanted to tell you that yes it is possible to use your own literature with Homer. I used the student workbook with my older son because I did not understand the formula, but now that I have done it with my older son, I can easily substitute literature with my younger son. It can be done. I am working it out. I will probably figure out the kinks in my program by May 2010. My younger son will soon be ready for it by then. I did not understand it well just reading the Core book. It was the Student Workbook that helped me to understand how to set up the lessons.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Hi Karen!

Thanks so much for your opinion. So, you ladies have me worried, LOL. I’ll have to think about this one. I know I want to continue in the Wordsmith series, which is a no brainer, for my dd. We are doing WA on the side of other writing, so we most likely will continue…starting Wordsmith next year, and then Craftsman in seventh and eighth grade. But I’d like to have something to use when we are done, which is why I’m looking at CW. We could use it as a supplement, and then dive fully into it in HS. Unless, SWB has her Complete Writer series finished by then. I’m sure that will be a lot less confusing!

:tongue_smilie:

You can definitely use your own literature selections but I found that with Homer there was a learning curve for me. It was comforting for me to have the workbook lay it all out for us. It is giving me confidence. After using the workbook with my oldest, I might have enough confidence to go out on my own with my two youngest but I definitely would not have been able to do it the first time out.

You can definitely use your own literature selections but I found that with Homer there was a learning curve for me. It was comforting for me to have the workbook lay it all out for us. It is giving me confidence. After using the workbook with my oldest, I might have enough confidence to go out on my own with my two youngest but I definitely would not have been able to do it the first time out.

Yes, I could see that. I still think I'll give it a whirl, although I might reconsider. It seems like grammar overkill since we are using other programs; I'm not sure yet.

Thanks! :001_smile:

I created a CW notebook that has several dividers. One of my sections is labeled Across the Curriculum. I included Appendix E (p.126) which gives a quick overview of how to do this and all the blank sheets for vocab. analysis, weekly assignment checklist, Table for Analysis of Author's Emphasis, Aristotle's Ten Categories, Parsing Chart, Steps for the Six Sentence Shuffle and the blank for for the Six Sentence Shuffle and the Homer Editing Checklist. I've already picked 4 models from our history readings to use and will fill in the details using these forms as we get closer to this assignment. If all goes well I hope to expand this.

HTH :001_smile:

• 12 years later...
On 10/19/2009 at 6:07 PM, Kfamily said:

I created a CW notebook that has several dividers. One of my sections is labeled Across the Curriculum. I included Appendix E (p.126) which gives a quick overview of how to do this and all the blank sheets for vocab. analysis, weekly assignment checklist, Table for Analysis of Author's Emphasis, Aristotle's Ten Categories, Parsing Chart, Steps for the Six Sentence Shuffle and the blank for for the Six Sentence Shuffle and the Homer Editing Checklist. I've already picked 4 models from our history readings to use and will fill in the details using these forms as we get closer to this assignment. If all goes well I hope to expand this.

HTH :001_smile:

I know it is an old post, but where in Homer does it talk about Aristotle's Ten Categories? I know it briefly mentioned about finding synonym using those categories in day 2 skill 2, but how?

On 12/8/2021 at 2:55 PM, OnceUponAFullMoon said:

I know it is an old post, but where in Homer does it talk about Aristotle's Ten Categories? I know it briefly mentioned about finding synonym using those categories in day 2 skill 2, but how?

Hi! I'm not sure the person you're quoting is around much anymore. You might have better luck by making a new thread. It would pop up better for other users of that curriculum. Good luck! 🙂