Menu

Is only reading the material OK for a season?

Without going into a lot of detail..... 2 of my kids have mono, and I am suffering from a pretty major home school mom burnout. I have my own health issues, namely, fibromyalgia and am in a flare. (those with fibro or CFS will know what that means)

We have gotten behind in all the books and it would be too overwhelming to try and 'catch up' while doing all the assignments I planned for each subject.

Here's what I'm thinking, and I'd like the Hive Mind opinion:

1. I'd like to drop all assignments and tests and just assign READING the books ONLY for a few weeks.

2. And, for math ... we are using MUS.... I'd like to skip several of the work book pages for a few lessons. Maybe do page A and page E and take the test. I'm pretty sure the kids could make an acceptable grade without doing all the pages.

I do have to turn in grades. If I stop giving gradable assignments I will not have enough grades to average for this semester.

I'm not planning on stopping all assignments for the rest of the year... just maybe a month or so.

My senior has had (still has) one of the worst cases of MONO her doctor has ever seen. She's fallen far behind in the books and will not graduate if I don't tweak somewhere/somehow. I'm not going to just 'give her a grade', but she just can't do much more than read right now.

What do you think?

What might you do?

Thanks!

Pam L in Tenn

I would think a reading only option would be reasonable at this point in time. I'm assuming you mean reading all the books, not just the literature books.

Is there some way you can move more slowly through MUS while still doing more of the math problems? I'm not familiar with the program, though, so I don't know how many problems are in a particular problem set, etc. You would want to make sure that your dc understand and retain the material before moving on, once they're well again. Do they have to finish the MUS books or units?

Honestly, though, I think if I had kids that had mono, I would have to do the same thing (if we were still homeschooling). I would imagine that mine would have to stay home from school and I'd have to have them complete their assignments at home, as they were able.

In situations like this, sometimes you can only do what you can do. It's important that your children get well again!

It doesn't seem to have hurt my son. We did try to finish each math book each year, but there were other places where my son just read the books for a month to make up for an extended absence or getting stuck in a hard place and getting behind or whatever. We just-read lots of things. I felt terribly guilty, but in retrospect, I'm not sure it was so awful. Just-reading was better than skipping or abandonning. I think this happens in public school, too, except there they just skip or abandon. I hope you all feel better soon.

-Nan

I had severe energy issues, I told the kids to do something in each subject every day and write it in the log book. No tests, just read, do the work, check it. The pace does slow, but work gets done. Again, when we had a death in the family, this time ds was a high schooler. Luckily I had curriculum that pretty much ran itself. A little in each subject each day, write it down, drop the tests (discuss to see if they know the material), move on. Didn't hurt us a bit, I recovered, we grieved, the kids were educated.

Absolutely okay. WHen I was in high school, I got viral meningitis, followed by pneumonia and then followed by severe breathing problems. I was a homebound student for the remainder of the school year. My work was done by reading along with some work in math and I think I might have had a test or two at the end. But it was almost all done by reading.

So, you think that reading alone... all the books, all subjects.... and doing math is OK for a high school senior? I'm feeling a little bit of guilt here.... Giving a full credit when all the written assignments aren't done. ???

I think I'd rather have 100% of the books READ to completion, rather than 75% of a book done with assignments. What do you think?

Thanks all!

So, you think that reading alone... all the books, all subjects.... and doing math is OK for a high school senior? I'm feeling a little bit of guilt here.... Giving a full credit when all the written assignments aren't done. ???

I think I'd rather have 100% of the books READ to completion, rather than 75% of a book done with assignments. What do you think?

Thanks all!

Since my girls have been in a private school both last year and this year, I've found that there is a plethora of testing. I did test them at home (grammar, vocabulary, math, Omnibus, science), but it does seem like there's overkill at the school they're going to. My oldest has an anatomy and physiology class that has quizzes every other day! There is a lot to remember with A&P, and the teacher may be trying to break up the information into pieces that are easier to remember, but the constant quizzes and tests and assignments drive my oldest batty sometimes. Her homework load is overwhelming sometimes, and I'm not sure that that translates into more learning.

I think teachers and moms need some evidence of testing and assignments to show for the record, but in my heart of hearts---I agree with you completely! I think that I would rather have read a book all the way, had a chance to absorb it, and skip all the assignments---and I think I would learn just as much. I honestly think your kids will be perfectly fine having the time to just do the reading in their books until they are well again. Once they're well, you can give them assignments, tests, etc. again.

the real issue in true education is learning, not testing or assignments! Some things just have to be learned on paper/computer--math, some aspects of language. Other than that, what we primarily do is read (and talk about the readings). Her SATs/ACTs/APs have been great, she can link ideas from what she read.

Think about what you remember--I remember what I read in high school and college, but I can't remember a single paper topic! And now I'm a professional writer!

Danielle

I think teachers and moms need some evidence of testing and assignments to show for the record,

What do you all think is SOME evidence of testing and assignments??

Do you think that one test and one paper (1 to 2 pages) is enough for a half credit class?

If I allow my senior to complete this semester only reading the books, How do I give her a grade? I have to turn in grades in my state. Several subjects, Japanese and math, she has grades that I can average.. However, in Brit Lit and Economics she doesn't have any grades so far. What do you think? Is it fair to have a semester grade based on one test or one paper?

Thanks to everyone for this help!

What do you all think is SOME evidence of testing and assignments??

Do you think that one test and one paper (1 to 2 pages) is enough for a half credit class?

There is many a college class where the grade depends upon the midterm and the final.

Every homeschool parent has to decide for him or herself what is appropriate in a given situation. So, ultimately the decision will be yours. Given your situation, it sounds like fewer grades averaged may be the best choice.

Regards,

Kareni

But doesn't your semester end in December? What I think I would do is just do reading now for the next month, say, but also have regular discussions that you grade. Just chat about the readings in the car on the way to the doctors/around the lunch table. Then, assign a short paper due at the very end of the semester and grade that. If you have the energy you can even documents some of the oral analysis (jot down remarks made) of the readings. Use that and the paper as evidence. That last week or two will be just about writing papers. However, for math, it seems to me you do need to take regular tests. I think I'd just slow way down and hope to catch up next semester when everyone is on the mend.