Menu

Why can't I sleep? Please help

I have been fighting a sinus infection for five weeks. This week I have not slept more than 3-4 hours at a time at night. In most 24 hour spans this week I have only been able to nap 30-40 minutes in addition to my couple hours' sleep at night, though on Sunday I was able to sleep two hours in the morning.

I am using a steroidal nasal spray called fluticasone propionate and I am taking amoxicillin. I've never used this nasal spray and wondered if that could be the cause of it. I googled it but it did not list insomnia or hyperactivity as a side effect. It seems to stay in the tissues themselves with very little overall systemic effect. Is that correct? Or could it be causing the problem?

The only other time I have suffered terrible insomnia was when I was terribly anemic. Taking iron pills took care of the problem. I had blood work done recently and know for certain that I am not anemic now, though I do still take iron supplements to maintain per dr's orders.

I tried taking cold medicine to help me sleep. One night I took a half-dose of a combo of doxylamine and dextromethorphan--this should have put me out soundly, but I woke up after 3 hours. The next night I tried just dextromethorphan, with the same result. Both of these drugs have been powerful sleep-inducers in the past for me, so I do not understand this. (I've never taken them regularly--but occasionally when I was sick and used a med to help me sleep without coughing these did work well for me.)

I'm feeling a little desperate here. I'll never shake this sinus infection if I cannot sleep. I am exhausted but wide awake, and deeply unproductive because I am so tired and cannot focus.

Med side effect or post-nasal drip. If the latter, try sleeping on your stomach in an incline with your arm, shoulders and head hanging over the top of the incline (I used bolsters). Your head can be cradled in a soft, scrunched up pillow. So, think of your back as a ramp, leading to a drop off at the shoulders. Drip goes forward and is dried by the act of breathing, hopefully.

Also, use Ocean. HTH

Thanks.

I am going to try not taking the steroid spray tonight and just doing OTC saline spray instead.

I'll also try sleeping on an incline.

If none of that works I may try a glass of wine.

I'm doubly stressed because dh is away tonight and tomorrow night at his grandmother's funeral. I never sleep well when he's away.

Praying for God's mercy upon me tonight . . . :crying:

steroids always interfered with my father's sleep. Can you take anything to help you sleep while you're on the steroid mist?

I tried that two of the last four nights. Normally I am very, very, very reactive to cold meds, so I was sure that what I took would render me unconscious for many hours. I was shocked to get only 3 hours of sleep. The cold meds just gave me horrible drugged, crawl-right-out-of-my-skin medicine head for hours and hours.

:grouphug: Not being able to sleep stinks! Maybe try not taking any meds tonight (if you can, I don't know what else you have to take that's not listed above), warm up neckwraps (or socks stuffed with dried beans, rice or lentils) in the microwave. Play some soft instrumental music in your room. If you have anything that smells good, like lavender especially, spray it in your room. Pour yourself a small glass of wine, crawl into bed and place one of the neckwraps on your belly and the other on either your forehead or behind your neck. Start reading a book.

See you tomorrow.

Good luck and I hope you get some sleep!

If none of that works I may try a glass of wine.

:grouphug: When I had a sinus problem (and I really rarely drink) I found comfort in taking a shot glass, filling with boiling water and dumping out (warming it), putting half a glass of Cherry Heering (a sweet cordial-type thing) in the shot glass and topping up with boiling water. I would then "knock it back". The vapors helped me, and the speed it hit my blood stream put my eyes down like a doll's eyes!

Well, I guess five hours of sleep is an improvement. I woke up when I had been asleep for three hours and thought all was over. Thankfully I was able to drift back to sleep! It's the first time all week I have been able to drift back to sleep once I've woken up.

Hopefully if I just stay off the steroid it'll all straighten out.

Thanks for your encouragement.