Menu

Oak Meadow, what do you think?

Guest Cindie2dds

OM is very holistic, and about as far from WTM as you can get - in the early years - by 6/7 grade it's on level with Calvert, but still, it's a more gentle approach (and very literature based, btw), by high school it's text books and all of that. It's accredited and a high school diploma from OM is like a diploma from any other "school". They also have SAT courses and the whole 9 yards - even a prom and graduation!

If you like crafts and nature walks - do them. You don't need OM for that.

HTH, I'm sure you will get LOTS of other replies...

I don't know what age you are looking at. I think OM would drive me a little bonkers in the early grades, but I'm an artsy-but-NOT-craftsy kind of person. That doesn't mean it's not a good program; it's just too abstract for me. In my opinion, once you get into the 5/6th grade area, it really starts to shine. It still has plenty hands on opportunities for creative and kinesthetic learning, but also requires research papers and higher level thinking and offers lots of suggestions for supplementation. We used the History/English and TM from 5th grade and really enjoyed it. We bought the 6th grade but ended up not using it because I became too ill that year to participate as much as I would want to. (I have it for sale if you need it).

It seems like maybe you're talking about younger kids, though. I think if the nature walks and handicrafts sound good to you, then you will probably love it. It is very gentle and very Waldorf. Whether you see that as a good or bad thing is up to you, I guess. My opinion, and it is of course just that, is that in the younger grades it is a little abstract, a little vague, a little light on actual stuff for the price you pay. That's only because I know I would not make the most out of it, though. You might. I believe that in the middle grades it is a very good, balanced program. I've never looked at their high school curriculum, so I obviously can't give an opinion of that.

Michelle

OM is a waldorf inspired curriculum however it's considered by those following a Steiner approach to be the least waldorf of the curriculums out there. The moms I know who've used it felt the need to supplement both science and math in the lower grades.

Waldorf is about as far from classical education as you can get. Steiner's vision of the developing child centered around the unfolding soul of the child and his educational philosophy focused on allowing the child to emerge at a gentle pace based on rhythms of expansion and contraction. This is a very simplified interpretation but it gives you an idea of the framework you'd be drawing from should you choose OM. I think there's an OM yahoo group.

Okay, long story short here... I did K and 2nd grade with my kids last year, and it went pretty well, but then I wasn't going to go with it for this year, as I thought it too gentle, etc. (Essentially, I didn't "buy" into it, although the rewards and research I've seen/done recently has helped me understand the approach better). 3 weeks into this year, both kids were asking for it, and I realized how much I missed the gentle lesson approach with my kids. So we're back into in in full swing.

For my dd's first grade this year, yes, it starts off very simply, but I can see where it is going to get more challenging. For my son in 3rd, there's plenty of challenge! I will note that we use Saxon Math rather than OM, we're substituting books for ds's 3rd grade (but still following the OM approach), and I add in history at this age. We do the suggested nature studies as once-a-week activities, and supplement lightly.

I like the holistic approach of it. I like the seasonal rhthyms present, and the daily ones too. My kids love the story and whole book approach, plus they love to look at their Main Lesson Books and see how far they have come.

I should also say that in 4th and 5th, I plan to use their LA and history as written, though we'll still substitute math and maybe science. From 6th and up, I don't think I'll need anything besides OM for everything except math.

We love crafts too. My kids just picked up on finger crocheting today, and they won't stop!

Guest Cindie2dds
I'd like to hear more reviews also (not to hijack the thread or anything).

I like using WTM for my older kids, but Kid Number Three is V E R Y unusual.

Would the 1st grade set from OM work with a 5/6 year-old?

:bigear:

I sent Audrey a pm and she answered so many questions for me. I am used to a rigorous day for my oldest (almost 6) but I am looking forward to the change of pace. I have some Literature and other living books ready to supplement if need be. When I called OM, they said my dd was on the younger end of 1st but we both agreed that K would be too little. I looked on their website at the sample pages and I think 1st will be a great fit for her.

HTH!

You can always incorporate gentler aspects into your homeschool day. The book 'Earthways' will give you some wonderful seasonal ideas for crafts within a waldorf framework using natural materials. Finger knitting or finger crocheting are also things to add in. One of the reasons these are taught to this age group is the belief that the right-left crossover that occurs with the fingers opens up pathways in the brain that are necessary to be in place before reading occurs.

With children as young as yours adding in circle time might be a nice addition. This is a fabulous resource for circle material organized not only seasonally but also grouped according to the different aspects of the developing bodies of the child (vestibular, proprioceptive, crossing the midline etc). Anyway it sounds as tho your children are giving you your answer but in case you don't want to go with a whole curriculum some of the suggestions above might be helpful.

One other book that might be useful is 'All Year Round' It will give you a glimpse in what a waldorf year looks like celebrating the various holidays and seasonal events with young children and has loads of ideas and crafts to do to.

OP I realize this is not specifically about OM but if you want a gentler approach and don't want to purchase the whole curriculum some of these ideas might balance out what you've already got in place. HTH

Christopherus is one of the more purely waldorf homeschooling models out there. You may find it confining if you don't subscribe to the waldorf philosophy.

The kindie program is very good but there's nothing classical ed about it. Circle, story time, block crayon work and crafts as well as celebrating festivals are offered as rhythms to incorporate within the larger container of your own family rhythms. Family rhythm=school at that age.

The Grade 1 curriculum is also very non-academic. For example in LA consonants are introduced through a series of linked stories but not alphabetically. The vowels are introduced next also through stories. There are lots of fairy tales but there are very specific ages as to when to introduce a particular tale. I think that this model is wonderful for some children but others need more 'meat'. If yours is one who needs more details, facts etc then you'll find yourself chafing at the bit over what is acceptable to teach for that age.

There's a forum for the Christopherus curriculum users but be warned it's about as far from classical ed as you can get.

Guest Cindie2dds

shukriyya,

Yep, don't think that's quite for us. I looked at the sample pages and I think OM is more what I'm looking for. I'm actually looking for something to be our "gentle, but complete, base" that lays out handicrafts and nature crafts and integrates them into math, LAs, reading, etc. We love fairy tales, too. Then I'm going to add on top of the "base" and supplement using our other materials I love. I'm a tweaker. ;)

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to answer my questions!

For my son in 3rd, there's plenty of challenge! I will note that we use Saxon Math rather than OM

OM3 has some fun math rhymes that you can incorporate into your schedule, when your son is ready to learn his multiplication tables. They're quite catchy and are fun and helpful. OM Math 3 is certainly different from Saxon, but OM has more of a fun factor, so you might want to check it out as you progress through the year, and add some of the OM activities to your Saxon lessons. (We use Saxon, too, although in third grade, we were still using BJU Math, which was a nightmare after a while. Saxon works so much better for us now, but I think a combination of Saxon and OM is excellent!)

Cat

Guest Cindie2dds
OM3 has some fun math rhymes that you can incorporate into your schedule, when your son is ready to learn his multiplication tables. They're quite catchy and are fun and helpful. OM Math 3 is certainly different from Saxon, but OM has more of a fun factor, so you might want to check it out as you progress through the year, and add some of the OM activities to your Saxon lessons. (We use Saxon, too, although in third grade, we were still using BJU Math, which was a nightmare after a while. Saxon works so much better for us now, but I think a combination of Saxon and OM is excellent!)

Cat

Cat, great to hear since we wanted to stick with Miquon and RightStart, but still have fun with their math, too.

Cat, great to hear since we wanted to stick with Miquon and RightStart, but still have fun with their math, too.

If Math wasn't included in the OM Third Grade manual, I would say that you don't need it, so save your money, but since you already have it as part of the program, you might as well get what you can out of it!

I'd always heard that OM Math was very light and fluffy, but after seeing several grade levels, I'm not convinced that it's as easy as many people think it is. The approach is certainly "friendlier," if that makes any sense, and it appears to be more casual and easygoing on the surface, but when all is said and done, it looks like OM manages to cover essentially the same material as other math programs, albeit in a different way.

Cat