Menu

Would you let him?

My just turned 9 yo son lost his Nintendo DS system (last night) & one of his sister's games. We went back to where he dropped it and no avail. He was messing around with his sister and did not zip the bag where he kept his DS so it dropped out. Now it is gone.... (He is always losing track of things unless I remind him to check and last night I did not. Yes, I know helicopter mom. But truly it is his personality & not laziness - my sister was the same way and I think he is her clone =)

Of course today in the mail, he just got a bunch of bday $ and now thinks he should be able to buy his sister's game and buy himself a new system.

Would you let him spend his bday money on a new system??

He lost his game system and is wanting to use his own money to purchase a new one? I think that is quite admirable! Kids lose things. Adults lose things. I washed my cell phone and my ipod. I'm happy I wasn't punished for it, though I know DH was kind of bummed that I wanted to replace them.

He lost his game system and is wanting to use his own money to purchase a new one? I think that is quite admirable! Kids lose things. Adults lose things. I washed my cell phone and my ipod. I'm happy I wasn't punished for it, though I know DH was kind of bummed that I wanted to replace them.

I agree, I would allow my child to purchase a new system with his own money.

I would require him to replace his sister's game (the way I understand it, he lost one of hers?).

Then I would ask him to wait one week before making his own purchase. During that time, ask him to make a list of the other things he could do with that same amount of money. You could even start him off by calculating some interest on what he'd earn if he saved it.

If, after considering the options, he still wants the DS, well, it is his money.

It's hard to watch our kids make what we consider reckless purchases, but hopefully they will learn from their mistakes. At least he's not crying for *you* to buy him a new one!