Menu

Have any of you used and really enjoyed the Phonics Museum?

Angel in FL

I have read lots of mixed reviews on this program and have read through the boards. It seems that it doesn't get the best recommendations but I keep being drawn to it. I think because of the artwork and music.

I just don't know. It is a lot of money to spend on something that doesn't seem to be liked by so many people. It may work for us but it is also quite a big $ risk.

I like it. I've noticed it doesn't get talked about much. I've taught two kids to read with it so far. The TM has scripted lessons for each day telling you which worksheets to use and which readers to read. The worksheets are in B&W but my kids didn't seem to mind this at all. My kids really enjoyed the readers, too. We learned a bit about history at the same time we were learning phonics :001_smile:. They never got into the coloring pages of the artwork on the flashcards, but my kids aren't really big on coloring books. There are card games of some kind but we didn't use these either. I think I may with my third child though since I can probably get one of her siblings to play with her. My dd really liked the CD of songs that came with it. My ds wasn't as into it. My kids also liked the whole museum "theme". There are miniature paintings you "hang" in a cardboard museum for each new letter sound you learn.

So on the whole I'm glad we bought it. It's certainly effective. The replacement workbooks are super cheap ($17 each....you only need two) considering how thick they are, so I think it is economical in that way.

I too was drawn to it. It's a beautiful setup and I like the way Veritas integrated the story and artwork. I bought it last year (the K-1 Version) after trying to figure out SWR and being frustrated with its organization. Well, I got through the first couple of days and decided its not what I wanted. I had already introduced all of the phonographs to my son and Phonics Museum starts with just the short /a/. It introduces each sound one at a time. It would be a while before we would be making some progress towards reading. I have found a curriculum that just fits us and my goals for my children--the Phonics Road.

Getting back to PM, I think it is a fun and beautiful curriculum. It uses italics to teach handwriting (which I like) and uses clever puzzle pieces to "make" words, which could work really well for a tactile learning or any child for that matter. The readers interesting and colorful. Its just a fun and exciting curriculum. If I had never read SWR and bought PM first, I would have never looked back!

Oh and I forgot to add something:

The kit also comes with these neat interlocking "puzzle" letters for building a word. My kids used to play with those for hours. They loved making their own words. They'd switch just one letter to make a new word...kind of like they do on some of the segments in Between the Lions :001_smile:.

Oh and I forgot to add something:

The kit also comes with these neat interlocking "puzzle" letters for building a word. My kids used to play with those for hours. They loved making their own words. They'd switch just one letter to make a new word...kind of like they do on some of the segments in Between the Lions :001_smile:.

That does sound fun! I ordered this morning and the box should arrive Thursday so we can start right away. My dd is almost 4 and quite eager to learn.