Menu

Help--Dishwasher problems

I have a Maytag dishwasher that's about 8-9 years old. Over the last few months, I've noticed that my white stoneware dishes are not getting properly clean; they retain stains after the usual cycle. I've also noticed that glasses don't get terribly clean either--I've even seen lipstick stains remaining after a wash cycle. We do have a water softener, so hard water is not an issue. I've tried those dishwasher cleaners, tried different detergents, use a rinse agent, have even taken apart what I could of the interior (couldn't do all of it) and cleaned--but the problem remains. I do have another Maytag in our basement which is the same age but has hardly been used over the years. I tried running some of the glasses in there but still had the same problem; haven't tried the white dishes in there though.

Is this staining a sign that the dishwasher just isn't up to doing its duty anymore? How do you know when it's time to get a new one? Or am I just missing something obvious? TIA.

When ours "gave up the ghost" it started to make a lot of noise. Have you called Maytag? They normally have a good reputation, but I'm not very familiar with the life span of a dishwasher. (We've essentially only had a dishwasher for the past 5 years; before that, we did all our dishes by hand.)

Anyway, with us, I called a repairman and he said it was time to replace it. I can't remember what brand we used to have (it came with the house), but we now own a Kitchen Aid, and it's very quiet and works beautifully.

If it's not too expensive, check with a repairman and see what he says. Good luck! I've found that having a dishwasher is a really nice thing, and I'd miss it if I had to go back to doing all the dishes by hand again! :)

I have a Maytag dishwasher that's about 8-9 years old. Over the last few months, I've noticed that my white stoneware dishes are not getting properly clean; they retain stains after the usual cycle. I've also noticed that glasses don't get terribly clean either--I've even seen lipstick stains remaining after a wash cycle. We do have a water softener, so hard water is not an issue. I've tried those dishwasher cleaners, tried different detergents, use a rinse agent, have even taken apart what I could of the interior (couldn't do all of it) and cleaned--but the problem remains. I do have another Maytag in our basement which is the same age but has hardly been used over the years. I tried running some of the glasses in there but still had the same problem; haven't tried the white dishes in there though.

Is this staining a sign that the dishwasher just isn't up to doing its duty anymore? How do you know when it's time to get a new one? Or am I just missing something obvious? TIA.

quote.gif

I don't think so.

I read (somewhere on the Internet) that there is a filter in the dishwasher that occasionally needs cleaned out, somewhere down by the drain. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find mine (or even unscrew anything down therre) and the glasses still aren't clean. BTW, I have a Kitchenaid.

If you have as second Maytag doing the same thing, it could be possible that the water isn't pumped strongly enough or the temperature isn't hot enough.

Our Maytag died after 5 years by slowly not cleaning the dishes. If you google 'dishwasher self repair', you may be able to find some diagnostic tests.

Have you changed your detergent? Or has your detergent's formula changed? No or little phosphates will cause this problem. I know some states have adopted a no-phosphate regulation; good news for the water and environment, bad news for the dirty dishes.:glare:

If you have as second Maytag doing the same thing, it could be possible that the water isn't pumped strongly enough or the temperature isn't hot enough.

Our Maytag died after 5 years by slowly not cleaning the dishes. If you google 'dishwasher self repair', you may be able to find some diagnostic tests.

:iagree:

I know a lot of areas are going to greener detergents and they just don't clean as well.

Have you turned down your water heater temp lately? You may try adjusting it back up for a day or two and see if that makes a difference.

Have you changed anything about your water softener? Any chance it could be the culprit?

When my parents water softener started going out the first place my mom noticed was in her laundry and the dishwasher. Neither was coming as clean. Sometimes my mom would have unexplained stains and finally dcided it was from the corrosion of the unit.

My dishwasher was doing something similar and the pipes were getting greasy, not allowing all the water to drain properly. A friend that repairs them told me to run it on the hottest cycle with bleach then do it again with vinegar and baking soda. No dishes in it. After doing that mine worked much better. Since ours drains thru the garbage disposal I also ran baking soda, salt, and lots of vinegar down it to help get out any remaining grease and gunk. It works for now.

Run it empty (no dishes) through an entire cycle with 1 cup of vinegar. If it's a little better but not up-to-par, then run it again with another cup of vinegar. This works wonders.

Also, you can do this with your washing machine to clean/clear it out as well: run it through the entire cycle with no clothes, just hot, hot water and vinegar.