Menu

WWE question...

lcelmer

Anyone used the model outlined for writing in WWE/WTM and had success in the older grades yet??

I am really leaning toward the wwe approach, narration, dictation,copywork, etc...

I would love to hear a success story or two before I just jump in though. I have a 3rd grade child who does NOT like the process method of learning to write, and is getting more and more frustrated by trying to cram his brain into this model.

He is almost 9, and we had issues with spelling, but when we started using sequential spelling.... it really helped. He hears the word, writes the word, and reads the word with different spellings, and keeps learning the word through the week with plurals, prefixes, etc.

It seems to me that the wwe type approach to writing is along the same line, familiarity with lots of good writing comes before the structure "rules" portion...

I was thinking of starting with year one, based on the WWE book. Any thoughts?

:bigear:

Edited by lcelmer

I have an almost 9yo dd. We're just finishing up WWE2 and eagerly awaiting the WWE3 that is somewhere in the mail.

She has been an awful speller, and Sequential Spelling has also been very helpful here. However, I noticed with her that even though she greatly improved spelling words in her SS lists, or even individual words when she thought about them, when she wrote sentences and paragraphs, it all flew out the window (same went for capitalization and punctuation, both of which she knew the rules for very well - but didn't seem to apply in sustained writing. Or she'd manage a couple of sentences and then it would go to pot.)

WWE has been very helpful with this. We're still doing the SS, but the WWE has helped her apply it when writing actual sentences. I started her last year in WWE2. You could get the hardcover text from the library to see where to start him - whether you needed to go all the way back to level 1, or if you could start him in level 2. The text has examples from all the levels - I think about 16 days of work per level - and is also useful if you want to accelerate through some of the more basic stuff to get to where you think it's the appropriate level of challenge and go deeper.