Menu

Haven't been here much lately-is swine flu a concern? Perry?

I have back burner-ed it in my mind, and I never watch the news, etc.

I did stock up on some basics a couple months ago, just in case. I've really been too busy to think about it and haven't heard of cases in my area (upstate NY), so I kind of assumed it has petered out some?

So where do things stand now? Are things looking generally better or worse? :confused:

Search the archives -we've been talking H1N1 a lot recently.

The CDC's weekly report is here

http://www.cdc.gov/H1n1flu/update.htm

You can see a map of activity this past week & see how your region is doing. Overall though, flu activity is higher than expected at this time of year.

"Total influenza hospitalization rates for laboratory-confirmed influenza are higher than expected for this time of year for adults and children. And for children 5-17 and adults 18-49 years of age, hospitalization rates from April – October 2009 exceed average flu season rates (for October through April)."

"

The proportion of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza (P&I) based on the 122 Cities Report has increased and now exceeds what is normally expected at this time of year. In addition, 19 flu-related pediatric deaths were reported this week; 16 of these deaths were confirmed 2009 H1N1 and 3 were unsubtyped influenza A and likely to be 2009 H1N1. A total of 76 laboratory confirmed 2009 H1N1 pediatric deaths have been reported to CDC since April. "