Menu

When should I schedule ACT?

My dd is not a great scorer on tests. She scores well but the Math SAT is not something that she likes and I really believe that she will score better with the ACT which isn't a tricky test. I am going to have her do a practice full length SAT and full length ACT before I make a final decision but I am fairly certain it will be the ACT. Now the question is when? SHe is doing Chalkdust Algebra 2 though currently it is all review since her Algebra 1 was more advanced. SHe is an 11th grader. Should we take late Spring? Is there any harm to not having either of the SAT or ACT scores until summer? She probably will apply somewhere ED or EA so I figure she will have at least one chance to improve in the fall. ANy thoughts?

If you don't mind spending the $$, why not have her take it before Christmas so you can see where she falls? You don't have to do the writing portion or have it sent to anyone but you so it really can be just for your info. Then you can have her do it "for real" in the spring w/the writing.

Before you take an SAT for "practice," be sure none of her potential colleges are ones that want to see all SAT scores. There is "score choice" in theory, but not all colleges go along with it. I learned this from the webinar Sharon in MD recommended on 10-2-09. http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130200&highlight=webinar

This company, PrepMatters, will also be having a webinar on SAT vs ACT which may be of interest to you. This co. has some great free stuff (webinars, blog, links). They have a soft sell--I detected very little product plugging in the webinar I "attended."

No, I don't mean she is going to take the tests for real for practice. She will simply do one real sat (old one) and one act (old one if they have them) for practice at home and see how that turns out. We haven't decided on SAT 2's yet but I also have to think about that too, if she will take them.

Hi Chris,

My son is an ACT kid, but I want to warn you about one thing. While the ACT is certainly more straight forward than the SAT, some kids have real problems with the ACT science portion. My son does very well on it, but it seems to be the piece that drags down some students' scores.

Does Chalkdust Algebra II cover trig? There are usually a couple of basic trig questions on the ACT math test. Your daughter's geometry may have provided her with the knowledge she needs, so I would have her review the material before taking your practice exam.

Anyway, your daughter could take the ACT in the late spring/early summer and then repeat it in September if necessary. She'll have the September score in hand for early applications.

Good luck to her.

Jane