Menu

Funny things homeschooled kids say...

We read alot of "older" literature (WTM suggestions, Ambleside online readalouds etc.) Anyone else notice your kids saying things that are just downright funny?

Yesterday my kids were playing 'battle' and my 7yr old kept yelling at his brother, "Make haste! Make haste!" DH and I were :lol:!

Not tied to any literature. But today while sitting in teh health clinic waiting for our appt for the big kids Hep B shots, we heard a nurse call for another child. Without stating the actual name it was a bizarre one, like stormhawk. Anyway, dd10 looks at me with all seriousness and says "Kids these days have the weirdest names, in my time they got proper ones". Had to have a talk about how thie IS her time lol.

The only time this has really been an issue was when we were at a souvenir shop at the beach. My NINE year old daughter saw a plaque calling someone a jack@ss. She piped up in her ever loud voice, "What do people have against jack@sses. I like jack@sses! I think jack@sses are beautiful! Do you remember all the jack@sses we saw in Mexico, Mom?!" AGHGHGHGHG.

Note to self...When reading tons of old literature make sure to at least mention the possibility that meanings have changed.

The only time this has really been an issue was when we were at a souvenir shop at the beach. My NINE year old daughter saw a plaque calling someone a jack@ss. She piped up in her ever loud voice, "What do people have against jack@sses. I like jack@sses! I think jack@sses are beautiful! Do you remember all the jack@sses we saw in Mexico, Mom?!" AGHGHGHGHG.

Note to self...When reading tons of old literature make sure to at least mention the possibility that meanings have changed.

:lol::lol::lol: Be sure to tell your dc I actually love the modern usage of jackass...it really is very fitting!

I blame this on old lit, too! LOL We were walking into an old building and the doors were not quite right, but I didn't mention it. Then 9yodd pipes up, "My, aren't these doors queer?"

Same dd one day took note of everyone's mood. "...how very gay..." we all were.

Gotta love the English language!

1yo keeps sneaking into the closet, pulling out 6yo's umbrella, & walking up & down (w/ it open), saying, "Tut tut." I finally asked, "Does it look like rain?" She just nods, seriously.

The bigs began exclaiming, "Well, well, a codfish on a hook!" at odd times last yr after reading Peter Pan. I mean, they'd hang upside down from a tree where they couldn't easily be seen, & scare people w/ this sudden exclamation. :lol: We had a talk.

I remember scolding ds when he was about 3 for calling his Sunday School teacher a "wee beastie!" when she wouldn't let him do something he wanted to do. He also used to play in the yard pretending to be running away from Farmer MacGregor, who was yelling "You wee beasties!" at the rabbits. (He would somehow manage to play both the farmer and the rabbits, of course. Only children have to play more than one role.)

Wendi