Menu

Which prayers are memorized in Prima Latina?

Jane

We aren't Catholic, and yet we say the table blessing each night. My son is also working only Pater Noster (sp?) with my mom. Our Father.... The only ones we wouldn't say... are the ones that are directed to Mary or Saints, and I'm not sure they are in there anyway. Most of the ones that are in there.. are fine for Protestants.

Really, my mom worked through Latina Christiana I and II and it was fine. :-)

Carrie

The only ones we wouldn't say... are the ones that are directed to Mary or Saints

Just wanted to clarify that Catholics do not pray *TO* Mary or the Saints. We ask Mary or the Saints to intercede upon our behalf with Jesus. It's like asking someone here on Earth to pray for us, only we're making our request to a very holy person in Heaven. Only God can grant prayers, not Mary or any of the Saints.

There's a lot of misinformation out there on the part of non-Catholics about this issue, I just couldn't let this go by without clarifying.

(stepping off my soap box, LOL!)

I'm wondering if anyone has a list of the specific prayers that children memorize in PL. Are they simple prayers or more typical prayers that children memorize in the Catholic Church?

I haven't found that any of the prayers are anything that Luther or Calvin would have hesitated over in the least.