Menu

Abeka Phonics K?

tonygirl

Is this Abeka's sequence for teaching reading in K?

!st you lear all the short vowels

Then con. blends? Does this sound like Abeka phonics K? A vet homeschooler said that is Abeka. She said you learn the short vowels then you start combining 3 letter words example bo then add the last letter b bob. Sound right?

If it is do I need the lesson book and student book?

I was thinking if I could get the correct sequence then I would do art projects and read picture books for the letters we are learning.

If we are learning b the I could read b books and make a b project

What do you all think?

Teresa

Is this Abeka's sequence for teaching reading in K?

!st you lear all the short vowels

Then con. blends? Does this sound like Abeka phonics K? A vet homeschooler said that is Abeka. She said you learn the short vowels then you start combining 3 letter words example bo then add the last letter b bob. Sound right?

If it is do I need the lesson book and student book?

I was thinking if I could get the correct sequence then I would do art projects and read picture books for the letters we are learning.

If we are learning b the I could read b books and make a b project

What do you all think?

Teresa

http://www.abeka.com/Resources/PDFs/SixStepsPhonicsColor.pdf

This helps to see how Abeka does their phonics. Some people say you need all of Abeka's resources and others say you can get by with only some of it. I do know Abeka's way teaches reading really well and most kids that use Abeka are above grade level of their peers.

I have done Abeka K without the teacher's keys and lesson guides and it can be done the only issue is it has a lot of write the sound your teacher says ?'s and if you don't have the teacher's key at the very least then you don't know what they are wanting you to focus on with the child.

Yes, that's the way they teach it (short vowel, blend with beginning consonant, and last consonant.) This ended up working really well for us because originally we started by doing the blends at the end of words (-at, pat, rat, hat, etc) and it just wasn't clicking. When we switched to blending the first two letters and adding the last, my dd got it right away.

I don't think the teacher's guide is necessary at this point, but others may disagree.

I love A Beka's phonics program. My boys are 6 & 5 and are reading quite well for their age level and I wouldn't say they are .... well, let's just say they are normal boys for their age. I think the sequence A Beka uses worked really well for us. Now, my own personal opinion is... I'd buy all the teacher's manuals. I really don't think I could do it without. THere's a lot in the teacher's manuals that aren't in the workbooks.

I love A Beka's phonics program. I think the sequence A Beka uses worked really well for us. Now, my own personal opinion is... I'd buy all the teacher's manuals. I really don't think I could do it without. THere's a lot in the teacher's manuals that aren't in the workbooks.

:iagree:

If I had everything to do over again, I'd just stick to Abeka, adding in some "real" books, or at least Bob books and other readers for variety at the K level. For first grade on up, I'd still use Abeka but add in FLL and WWE, skipping almost all of Abeka's creative writing assignments (subbing w/ WWE). FYI, I am switching to this as soon as my Abeka order arrives! One thing I don't like or understand about Abeka is why they have to have SO many books (TM, Answer Key, Teacher's Edition, student workbook, student testbook, test answer key, etc.) all for one subject. IMO, they really should integrate all these components. It's still a tried-and-true method though.