Menu

Dairy free cinnamon rolls?

While I'm at it...how about a dairy free donut recipe. Anyone have one or one that can be successfully converted?

I read that some refrigerated biscuits (ie. Pillsbury) are dairy free and know how to make donuts with them, but none of the biscuits I've looked at are diary free so that idea is out.

If you have a Whole Foods nearby there is a company that makes amazing frozen donuts. They are dairy free, soy free, vegan, everything free (I don't have the box handy). Seriously delicious!

Dunkin Donuts and any other kind of donuts make me seriously ill so these have been a nice treat.

Yeast will work fine with almond milk, rice milk, or water. French breads and other lean loaves are flour, water, yeast, sugar and salt. Cinnamon rolls are generally a richer dough (with eggs, etc.) but shouldn't suffer too much without the dairy.

Most margarine is not great for substituting for butter in cooking. Earth Balance (the original) does actually cook/bake like butter, and tastes pretty close. It's vegan, so there's not any sneaky dairy involved.

I really really want some yummy cinnamon rolls and love Quiver's recipe. Has anyone tried making it dairy free? Does dairy free margarine sub well for the butter? How about the milk? Will yeast work with rice or almond milk?

I used to bake a lot, and Earth Balance can do everything that butter can (except make ghee....the real ghee with the browned milk solids in the bottom, not clarified butter).

For sweet baking I used vanilla almond milk. (For cream soups I used plain almond milk). I never had a flop.