Menu

Laundry question - bleeding onto fabric

DD has one of those tops that looks like a sweater with a white blouse underneath, but it is actually one piece. The brown from the sweater bled onto the white of the "blouse." It actually did it quite uniformly but it is still not snowy white. I have rewashed it, soaked it and it is still brown. Any suggestions on what to do? Since the "sweater" is synthetic, can a try a little bleach?

Thanks.

You can try direct application of bleach. Use a Q-tip & dip into capful or bowl of bleach & apply to the area. Be careful to avoid the sweater during t his application and the rinse. If the sweater bleeds, I do not think the dye is "in the fiber" but was added afterwards... which means it is NOT bleach safe.

To check for color fastness.... yOu can also use the Qtip test on a hidden section of the sweater part & see if the dye is fast/inside the actual fiber of the sweater. Some synthetics have color from the plastic bead state & it is in the fiber from the beginning. Most things are dyed after being a fabric and they won't be colorfast to the fiber/fabric.

If you can get the brown out by direct application or with bleach safely in the wash (b/c sweater is not going to be damaged)..... try adding SALT to the wash in the future. We used to have band uniforms with bleeding sleeves (red onto white) and we were told to add lots of salt to wash.

Also many dyes avoid salt... they will not want to come out into the water and will stay adhered to the fabric. Don't be stingy with the salt.

I wish I could remember more from my college days (got a degree in textiles in late 80s) but it has been many years.;)

I would try the Rit dye remover, but know that it may change the density of dye on the sweater part.

If you fix the problem this time, next time, you may try to use the little cloths in the laundry aisle that claim to 'catch dye'. They are single use like dryer sheets and contain a chemical designed to attract loose dye in the water. I have a friend who swears by them.

I had a dye bleeding accident a few months ago and successfully removed it with LA's Awesome bought at Dollar General. It's a concentrated cleaner, but I used it full strength, let it sit a few minutes and then washed. It was on an aqua shirt and didn't affect the color at all!