Menu

Read alouds for Greece?

beth in md

Can anyone suggest some good read alouds for our unit study on Greece? My daughters are 11 years old and we plan to take about a month. They are not big on war/fighting/action type titles.

The only book I currently have is: Classic Myths to Read Aloud by William Russell. Has anyone use this and if so, did you like it?

Thanks!

Beth in MD

D'Aulaires book of Greek myths is excellent as well as The Children's Homer. Even though it has the War/fighting/action stuff, Homer is such an important work in relation to Greek studies that I would want my children to be familiar with it. I've been reading it aloud with my children really enjoying it. (both boys and girls)

When I was 13 or so, I read Edith Hamilton's book

http://www.amazon.com/Mythology-Timeless-Tales-Gods-Heroes/dp/0446607258/ref=pd_cp_b_2

to myself and made a chart on who was related to who. You can look at the opening pages on Amazon and see if your daughter would comprehend it if it were read to her. She's in print all these years later for a reason.