Menu

Real Science 4 Kids - How religious?

Cammie

I am looking for science books that are for a 4th grader. I am not very "sciency" so need something that is very well organized and presented. These looked good but from the website it is clear that it is an Anti-Darwin writer. Just wondering if anyone has used the Level I books and if they really would be unsuitable for a pro-evolution family?

I've used these materials with no problem, and I'm very much secular and pro-evolution. The books don't contain anything one way or the other. A friend of mine objected to the word "designed" once or twice in the biology book, as in "a leaf is designed to make food for the plant" or some such (I made that sentence up, but it's something along those lines), but I don't see a nefarious intent behind that.

Besides, I think the biology book is very, very weak from any standpoint. She is a chemist, and the chemistry materials are excellent (if not comprehensive) - I've used pre-level I and level I chem and found them good if a bit expensive for how short they are. I think the KOGS are a big waste of money. However, I wouldn't bother with the biology books - not because they have ID references but because it's uneven - it has a couple of good chapters and then some really weak ones (life cycle of the butterfly and frog for 3-5th grade? - and a whole chapter for each?) - not enough to justify the pricetag. If I want them to read a few good chapters on cell structure and protists I can find it elsewhere easily.

I think pre-level I Chem is my favorite - haven't seen anything else like it for that age level, and it's written in a way that makes difficult concepts easy to understand.

They're not religious, but were designed to be neutral. I agree that the Chemistry is the best of the lot. My dc are enjoying the Physics one, which is good since my 11 yo doesn't usually care for science. We have all of the Level 1 books, and also the Chem 2 one, which is a good one for grades 7-9 (but not quite enough for a high school Chem credit.)