Menu

Anyone use All About Spelling's letter tiles with SWR?

KIN

I'm contemplating using AAS's tiles with SWR. My K'r is reading a wee bit, just vcv words, and is ready to start the lists in SWR. However, his writing is holding him back. Do you think I could replace the writing in SWR with AAS's letter tiles??? Whaddya think?

I'm contemplating using AAS's tiles with SWR. My K'r is reading a wee bit, just vcv words, and is ready to start the lists in SWR. However, his writing is holding him back. Do you think I could replace the writing in SWR with AAS's letter tiles??? Whaddya think?

Kathy,

I don't see why not. There are only a couple of phonograms included with AAS That aren't in SWR and you obviously can just not use those.

Personally I am a visual spacial learner and there are several concepts that clicked for me when I saw them demonstrated with tiles more then they ever did with SWR (despite having the rules memorized). I look forward to going back to SWR after we finish AAS with a better understanding of the rules.

If you prefer a set that already has magnets you can look at using Wilson Tiles. They appear to have two sets. The second set I linked probably has more tiles than you need, because Wilson will teach units like -ont (see the green ones in the picture), but you could just not use those. There is also this set that comes with a magnetic board.

My older two did out grow using tiles, but I still use them to demonstrate the rules. I think the visual elements helps, even through they don't use them much.

Heather

Edited by siloam

Someone asked about this on the yahoo group and Wanda was pretty adamant that she does not recommend replacing the writing with tiles. I'll try to find the thread for you. Some of the trainers do recommend using the tiles as an enrichment (like CMama does), but not to replace the writing.

My 5yo writes the words on paper three times per week: dictation on Tuesday, index cards on Wednesday, and test on Friday. We only do 10 words/week because that's his limit for writing and attention span. I am considering using tiles like CMamas to add another spelling activity to our week that wouldn't involve more writing. I think most 5yos have a low tolerance to how much writing they can do in a week.

HTH,

Of course you can! I did with my dd. But you'll want to start the log over when he's more comfortable writing. For my dd in K5, a few months made a huge difference in her comfort in writing. I think she is what would be called pencil phobic in a boy. Doing the words with tiles, orally, and on the chalkboard (large motor skills) allowed her to progress while her fine motor skills and ability to write with comfort caught up. And suddenly like magic she was ready to write in her own log, no big deal.

I'd definitely pursue methods that use large motor skills. Chalkboard, whiteboard, large tables, drawing in sand or rice. That way they're writing but doing it in an age-appropriate way. Then start over at A when his writing becomes more comfortable. The review is good for them.

My ds has had some fm delays - we started with letter magnets. At the same time, we worked on handwriting...although at separate times in the day.

Begin dictating the letters he can write, and just build into mult-letter phonograms and then into words;)

But. definitely start spelling/reading if he's ready!

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I am a visual spacial learner and there are several concepts that clicked for me when I saw them demonstrated with tiles more then they ever did with SWR (despite having the rules memorized). I look forward to going back to SWR after we finish AAS with a better understanding of the rules.

I am also a visual learner, and am having so much trouble with the SWR guide, as I am also a big picture person. I have been looking at AAS as an alternative to SWR. I was wondering why you are going back to SWR, do you like it better than AAS?

Startwrite's Modern Cursive is almost exactly what Cursive First with SWR uses. I just made up trace sheets for all the phonograms and all the 2 and 3 letter phonograms a couple of days ago. But then.. I don't understand the tiles instead of writing/tracing. Could you use Scrabble letters? or does the AAS have the 2 larger phonograms on one tile? If so, you could make those, right?

Carrie:-)

I am also a visual learner, and am having so much trouble with the SWR guide, as I am also a big picture person. I have been looking at AAS as an alternative to SWR. I was wondering why you are going back to SWR, do you like it better than AAS?

Mostly because my oldest dd wants to. She wants to "finish" the book-not a first born type A thing at all. :D I also have the added advantage of living in the same area as the author, and Wanda graciously offered to help me with the program, so that should make the program more doable. :)

Heather