Menu

When to start CWP?

Dinsfamily

I bought CWP 1-6 to use with my dc as non-consumables. My 5yo is halfway through PM 1A and he loves word problems. I've heard that some people use CWP as review 1 level behind, but what do all of you recommend? I'm thinking of starting it when he gets into 1B. Would that be too early? I want the problems to be fun and challenging for him, but not frustrating.

I tried doing the CWPs a year behind when we first started, but that doesn't work well for us. I assign the CWPs concurrently with the normal text/workbook assignments. If they have gone over the material in their text, I schedule in problems from CWP on the same material. I usually throw in 4-6 word problems along with their regular assignment every now and then. I alternate using CWP and IP as "extra" math.

Tiara,

Here is the way I approach it:

1A (primary workbook/text)

1B

IP 1A

IP 1B

1 CWP

2A

2B

IP 2A

IP 2B

2 CWP

Generally CWP covers concepts from both A and B, so I save it till last to make sure they don't have anything new thrown at them. I also like saving the IP books so that they review concepts after they have moved on from them.

Heather