Menu

Help me decide . . . Latin question.

Rose in BC

The kids have completed Latina Christiana II and I purchased Henle Latin to work through this year. Yesterday I found out that Memoria Press is releasing Second Form Latin in it's beta version. It sounds more user friendly than Henle and I'm tempted to buy it for the kids.

Should I or should I just suck it up and work through Henle? The reality is I know we CAN work through Henle but I want to make Latin as enjoyable as possible for my kiddies (and me :001_smile:).

Any thoughts?

We switched from Henle to First Form Latin earlier this year (primarily for some extra review), and...I just didn't care for it. :glare: I thought that I could teach better with the hand-holding in FFL, but we really got bogged down in it. Perhaps it was the format...perhaps it was because we took a good portion of the summer off. :tongue_smilie:

I wanted to like FFL, but since even my girls preferred (enjoyed?!) Henle, we have returned to it with much enthusiasm. I use Cheryl Lowe's Henle Study Guide and appreciate it very much.

Since Second Form is in beta, perhaps you could inquire about trying a sample lesson? Good luck in your decision-making! :001_smile:

I have no experience with Henle or LC, but ds and I are very, very happy with First Form, and I assume we'll go on to Second Form. I wouldn't call it a "fun" program, but definitely an effective one. Ds is picking it up quickly. I just purchased a second workbook so *I* can study harder. I have absolutely no previous Latin experience, and this program doesn't have me tempted to run away screaming like I was afraid of!

My two cents -

I haven't used either with my children, but I used Henle I (with the Lowe study guide) for myself and was struggling through it. I bought FFL and can't believe how much easier it is for me to understand and actually learn from. In my book, FFL is much more user friendly, esp. for those with little Latin experience.

I am still undecided primarily because I have three sets of Henle here (3 kids doing same level) and I feel kind of wasteful not using it. Or at least trying to use it.

I may waffle on this one a bit longer. Maybe by then we'll have a good routine going with Henle. :001_smile: