Menu

Anything fun for biography

MrsMe

study out there for a 3rd grader? I'm thinking it would be better to study people than events at this point, because I don't think dd #1 has an interest in events much or #2 can really process what they really mean. She's yawning through our history. I mean really in 3rd grade this stuff would just be an "oh yeah?" In one ear and out the other.

The Preamble...there's a ton of words in there she can't pronounce and she's supposed to memorize it? When really she just doesn't understand taxation and such.

What's out there fun for KIDS? I'm thinking biography study. But where is something reasonably fun?

Who says she has to memorize the preamble? And in 3rd grade? Wow.

I think that the BEST biography books for kids this age are Mike Venezia books. HE has composers, artists, presidents and is now working on scientists. They are uncomplicated, funny 1/2 cartoon, 1/2 interesting facts with relevant artwork/photos. A wonderful way to introduce important historical figures. After they know something about these poeple you can expand it from there.

Also Diane Stanley books.

And any of the books along the lines of... "Isaac Newton for Kids" etc. Ask your favorite librarian. The more interesting and funny a book is, the more likely the kid should retain info AND want to learn more. Just my experience.

I would have my own rebellion in my house if I tried to have my boys memorize the preamble to the constitution. Leave that for a few years when she understands what it really means.

just my humble suggestions.

The Preamble...there's a ton of words in there she can't pronounce and she's supposed to memorize it? When really she just doesn't understand taxation and such.

Why would she have to memorize that in third grade? That sounds gruesome -- no wonder she's not enjoying it.

Have you tried the "Who was..." biographies? Those are great and concentrate on people instead of events.

Taxation is easy to understand. Cut up a sandwich for her lunch and then eat 1/4 or 1/2 (depending on your tax bracket) and then give her the rest. We call this a daddy tax!

My girls enjoyed reading about Ben Franklin, Paul Revere, George Washington, etc. There are tons of books about famous early Americans.

Taxation is easy to understand. Cut up a sandwich for her lunch and then eat 1/4 or 1/2 (depending on your tax bracket) and then give her the rest. We call this a daddy tax!

My girls enjoyed reading about Ben Franklin, Paul Revere, George Washington, etc. There are tons of books about famous early Americans.

Sure...Only I guess if you're the teacher mom! :lol::lol: I'd never think of this stuff.:tongue_smilie:

If you don't mind a Christian world view, God's World News has biographies every week on their site. There are pdf files with stories and activities. You could find other books or ideas each week on the same person.

Here's the list for the year.

http://www.gwnews.com/biography_schedule_0910.cfm

Here's where you can actually download them.

http://www.gwnews.com/bp_archive.cfm

Edited by mom31257
forgot a line

we call it a mommy tithe!

study out there for a 3rd grader? I'm thinking it would be better to study people than events at this point, because I don't think dd #1 has an interest in events much or #2 can really process what they really mean. She's yawning through our history. I mean really in 3rd grade this stuff would just be an "oh yeah?" In one ear and out the other.

What's out there fun for KIDS? I'm thinking biography study. But where is something reasonably fun?

We must be thinking of a different The Preamble (to the Constitution?) b/c I'm singing it in my head now and taxation doesn't come up.

It's a fun song . . . school house rock . . . you just have to add "of the United States"

I do understand that there are big words but shoot, there are worse things out there that she could be exposed to.

We must be thinking of a different The Preamble (to the Constitution?) b/c I'm singing it in my head now and taxation doesn't come up.

It's a fun song . . . school house rock . . . you just have to add "of the United States"

I do understand that there are big words but shoot, there are worse things out there that she could be exposed to.

No taxation isn't in there. But previous to this we were studying paying taxes in silver. None of it is interesting for her.

Yeah, I know about exposure. But I wouldn't want her to remember the worse things:tongue_smilie: over this because of interest.:001_smile: