Menu

Finally feeling the love for Singapore Math!

Tidbits of Learning

Maybe I missed it...did anyone respond to the question about whether the Sonlight HIG's were different from the "regular" US ones? Because I unknowingly ordered/received a Sonlight HIG after using a non-Sonlight one.

Also, I'm sorta feeling bad reading on here about the HIG Standard editions, because I've been using the U.S. versions. Is the Standard method that much superior? Am I missing out?

Maybe I missed it...did anyone respond to the question about whether the Sonlight HIG's were different from the "regular" US ones? Because I unknowingly ordered/received a Sonlight HIG after using a non-Sonlight one.

Also, I'm sorta feeling bad reading on here about the HIG Standard editions, because I've been using the U.S. versions. Is the Standard method that much superior? Am I missing out?

I would like to know the answers to these questions also please:D.

I think the sonlight HIG's are the same as the other HIG's. I bought mine from Sonlight and 3a has sonlight on the back and 3b has Avyx on the spine. They both have the same author just one has printed by: Avyx inc.

Today was the first day we did the bar diagrams and I am in love with the guide from here on out. Word problems are my dd9's worst enemy and we had to do 2 step word problems. The HIG really helped me to teach her and for her to get it.

Math is a strong suit for me, but not so much for dd9. Having the examples and some guidance really helps instead of me looking at her and thinking why doesn't she get this...how can I show her it again...I have found that just because I get it and we went over it and I think she should get it isn't always the case. We had tried 3a at the beginning of the summer with just the textbook/workbook combo and we would go through the textbook and I would think she got it and then bomb she would miss 4 out of 5 of the workbook questions on a page.

We did the HIG doing textbook problems on the dry erase easel board and her with a dry erase board at the table. Then we did the extra examples to make sure she got it on the dry erase board easel. Then she did the workbook exercise and got them all right!!!

Ok I am confused. My ds was doing Saxon 7/6 and changed to PM at 3B. We are going as fast as possible bc he will be going back to private school next year where they will be doing Math in Focus 6 which is a Singapore Knock off. So , I bought all these books (and I bought all the books for Math in Focus -ka ching $$$) through Level 5. I think that the Singapore Website only showed the HIG through 4A. I was bumming because I assume that a HIG is going to be more handholding than a Teachers Guide. An early poster mentioned HIG thru grade 5. Was she referring to TG in 4th.

I am only on day 2 of teaching. I am so right brained with no morsel of left in there but we are hanging in.

A poster said that you regroup and dont borrow. What exactly does that mean. I read the Model method to beef up quickly and didnt see anything about that.

Thanks

Trisha

Ok I am confused. My ds was doing Saxon 7/6 and changed to PM at 3B. We are going as fast as possible bc he will be going back to private school next year where they will be doing Math in Focus 6 which is a Singapore Knock off. So , I bought all these books (and I bought all the books for Math in Focus -ka ching $$$) through Level 5. I think that the Singapore Website only showed the HIG through 4A. I was bumming because I assume that a HIG is going to be more handholding than a Teachers Guide. An early poster mentioned HIG thru grade 5. Was she referring to TG in 4th.

I am only on day 2 of teaching. I am so right brained with no morsel of left in there but we are hanging in.

A poster said that you regroup and dont borrow. What exactly does that mean. I read the Model method to beef up quickly and didnt see anything about that.

Thanks

Trisha

The HIGs for the Standards Edition only go through 4A right now because it is new. 4B will be available later this fall I think. There are HIGs for the US edition, but they don't match up with the Standards Edition.

Regroup is just another word for borrow - a more technically correct term but it all means the same thing. You aren't really borrowing becauses you won't be giving it back. Think of it like putting straws into groups of 10 and when you have 10 of them you have 100 - to regroup you take a group of 10 out of the hundred and move it over to the ones.

Probably more information than you needed...

So, I just purchased the below books, which I hope wasn't a horrible mistake.... and then started reading this list. I have a 6th grader, but when I looked at these, I decided to purchase them.... because my daughter may start a school next year that will be using Singapore....

Did I just make an expensive mistake??

Carrie:-) (She'll be in 7th next year.... so I think I'll have to make it through one extra book after this.... Summer school??)

5A Home Instructor's Guide

5A Textbook US Edition

5B Home Instructor's Guide

5B Textbook US Edition

6A Home Instructor's Guide

6A Textbook US Edition