Menu

what state woudl you not live in for homeschooling reasons?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No my dh was laid off back in June.

We will be able to continue paying what few bills we have (mortgage and utilities cell phones and netflix) through December. Not much of a Christmas but that's okay. He is also taking electrician classes in case he needs to completely change careers.

Obviously we'd rather have a job than be homeless.

But we also don't want to rush to be miserable somewhere else. Esp when what little family we have is here and we'd have to sell our home at a loss and it's dang hard (read as impossible) to find rental property with 9 kids.

If the price is right obviously we'll reconsider any location.

So far that's not a problem :001_unsure:

at this point the plan is that if he gets a job out of out state he won't move the family/put our house up for sale until he's been on the job 6 months. Far too many people uproot everything only to have the new job not work out for us to do that until he has spent enough time there to feel stability is likely.

I am sorry about your dh's job - I didn't know he had been laid off.

We went 4 months without a job and by that time we were desperate. Dh couldn't find any job where we were (and yes, he tried restaurants and grocery stores.)

I hope he finds something where you are and this whole question is moot. We did have family here, but I would have gone anywhere if it meant that we could live. I do wish I hadn't been as adamant that we had to stay where we were (because of my ds not moving with us) and spent more time figuring out where we would be best off. Instead, the decision was basically made for us as dh had to take the first job he was offered.

It has been 5 months and the job is stable, but terrible and the money we thought he would be making after "training" is never coming. Unfortunately, the job situation here is bad as well, so bad that an opening at Subway (min. wage) had 90 people waiting at the appointed application time!:001_huh:

But we're here and don't have anything to go back to, so I am making the best of it.

California scares me with all the talk and anti-homeschooling stance.

Deep breath! California is still a great place to HS. The only thing that's required is one very simple form each year declaring your own private school. No standardized testing, no portfolio review, no curriculum approval, or any other burdensome requirements.

Now, I could give you an earful about all the stuff I DON'T like about California, but they're not related to HS. The 12.2% unemployment rate and the insanely high cost of living are two biggest reasons why I would not recommend folks move here.

VA is pretty easy. There are several different options, and if you choose to file under religous that's it. I file a NOI with my high school diploma and a list of what we intend to cover during this year. (XYZ for math & Language Arts and ___, ____, ___ subjects will be covered as well.) At the end of the year I send in samples of the kids' work throughout the year in math and language arts. We don't have to report other subjects until high school, and we only need to show "adequate yearly progress", as defined by the parent, not the school board. We're using CLE for LA & Math for all three kids this year, so their portfolios will simply be the tests from their lightunits. I'm not sure it's possible to get any easier (here at least.) You can choose several other end-of-year reporting options, such as standardized testing or professional evaluations.

Homeschooled middle & high school students in my county can enroll in up to two courses at the local school as well (pending county budget issues) and by state law can play high school sports.