Menu

S/O HIV Vaccine

I am required to attend yearly conference regarding HIV.

I remember my senior year in high school and the big lectures about the new disease and all they didn't know at the time. I have to admit it really scared me and caused me think about future sexual relationships.

There are some great advancement for a potential vaccine.

The Thai trial and the one starting in the US.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125377232802336889.html

http://www3.niaid.nih.gov/news/newsreleases/2009/HVTN505.htm

So hypothetical if there was a vaccine, would you consider it for your kids.

I have worked as a nurse since 1991 and have had accidental needle stick and real HIV scares in my career. I believe as a health care provider I would get it for myself.

But would I get it for my kids, I know the chance of transmission is usually sexually. I am raising them to not experiment with sex but to wait for marriage.

But their is no guarantee they won't be sexually permissive or that their future spouses will be virgins

This whole thread is hypothetical since their is no vaccine but the Gardisel thread just got me to thinking.

IDK. Like everything else I would wait to see if it was safe enough to risk giving it to my kids. The gardisil shot is not safe enough for my liking, but there are other vaccines that my kids get. I am not pro or anti-vaccine, but rather we decide on a case by case basis for our kids. So that makes my answer a big fat maybe lol.

I wouldn't get it. I would not have my children get it. I will teach them about the risks of certain behaviors and lifestyles.

Now if I worked in health care or in a job that put me (or one of my children worked as say a teen job) at risk then I would consider it. I would also wait until the vaccine had been out long enough to establish the dangers of the vaccine itself.

I am not impressed with the Gardisil (sp?) and I really don't like how they are pushing it for boys now too. I feel really leery of trusting a company whose only goal is to make money and that's how I feel about pharmaceutical companies.....they don't care about my health, they care about money.

Sara

I have worked as a nurse since 1991 and have had accidental needle stick and real HIV scares in my career. I believe as a health care provider I would get it for myself.

:iagree:, but I would have to look at efficacy, side-effect profile, etc. I'd be more interested in a Hep C vaccine. It is terribly common at work, patients and staff.