Menu

Looking for good Science Readers

Greta

My daughter (2nd grade) informed me yesterday that she's tired of reading silly fiction stories and wants to read more science books. The tricky part is that she's right on grade level in her reading skills, but further ahead in her understanding of science. For "science class", I read aloud books to her that are above her reading level. But for reading practice, I need something that she can read but that won't bore her in terms of content. Any suggestions?

(Oh, and I'm only looking for secular resources. Thanks!)

:001_smile:

Most libraries carry them. Scholastic also has a First Discovery series (Butterflies, Insects, Dinosaurs, etc.). There are a bunch of DK Eyewitness Readers in my library about various science topics as well as the "Rookie Readers" which might be a bit easy for her. I really like the DK readers.

My son read at 2nd grade level and loves these books by Salvatore Tocci from the library. They are part of the True Book series. The series start with the phrase Experiments with... Here are some he has read and liked

Experiments with rocks and minerals

Experiment with Plants

Experiments with the Sun and the Moon

Space Experiments

There are probably 6-10 more titles in my library system. I also found True books by him about some of the elements. My son loved reading the science books and doing the experiments in the book. He also has other science themed books for higher reading levels.

She might be able to cope with the Magic Treehouse companion books.

She also might be able to deal with the Magic Schoolbus chapter books.

My other recommendation is the Let's Read and Find Out Science series that somebody else has already recommended.

She might like Ranger Rick magazine if she likes reading about animals.

Thornton Burgess books....Burgess Bird Book for Children, Seashore Book, Animal Stories, Nature Stories, etc. They are excellent!

I agree, these are great!

I also 2nd the Nature Readers from Liberty press.

The Scholastic science readers are quite good but may be too easy for her. They are factual with great pics though.

My son is reading the Christian Liberty Press Nature Readers, and we both really look forward to this. It's more in depth than anything I ever read in Apologia's Biology course! LOL Really -- they are very well written, and my son retains a ton from his reading.

I started him on a Pathway reader when he finished his phonics book, and he whispered it as he read. I asked him what was going on, and he said he was embarrassed because of the baby repetition in it. So, we started with CLP Nature Reader 1. He's now in book # 3. I plan to have him read Among the Forest People when he finishes this, and start book # 4 next year.

Now, my 6 year old loves the Pathway readers. In fact, we skipped the first one because I agreed it was a little babyish for him as well, but when he found out we skipped a book, he asked if he could go back and read it. He likes the little stories.

The Let's Read and Find Out Books are great as well. We always read any that pertain to what we are studying. We also read a lot of Gail Gibbons books.