Menu

does anyone know any at home stuttering programs?

motherdear

I don't feel the public school speech therapy is adequate for my son. They have him in a group of three to four children for one half hour once a week. IMO, it's a waste of time! For the privacy of the other students, they will not allow me to observe the techniques they use either.

I'm a former Speech Pathologist; here's my advice:

1. Talk with the speech therapist at the school. Make an appointment.

2. Ask her what to do with your son at home. 1/2 hour a week isn't going to help much if he isn't being encouraged to use his smooth speech strategies at home or in other situations.

3. Here is a link to the Stuttering Foundation of America They have some good resources to give you strategies to help your son. They have inexpensive booklets ($2) which are really helpful.

4. In the end, if your therapist at the school isn't helpful, I'd seek out a private therapy evaluation. If you have a university near you with a speech-language pathology (or communication disorders) program, they might have a campus clinic and could do an evaluation (sometimes at a lower rate than in private practice), or look to an outpatient clinic. It's been 10 years and insurance has changed a lot, but if your pediatrician will give you a refer, insurance may pay for the evaluation, not the therapy. If this is the case, I'd try to find a SLP who would do the evaluation and give you a home program to work on with your son. A good therapist will do that for you.

PM me if you have any questions.