Menu

how to find a co-op

When we were homeschooling in Wisconsin, I tried unsuccessfully to locate a co-op. I had heard of a couple of groups, but since most don't have a website, it's hard to find any phone number of contact person to call. We did find one through word of mouth from a church member, but that particular one was too far to travel.

Where we live in Oregon now, we found out about a local co-op just by running into another family at the library. We were both there in the morning, with school-age children, so I asked if she was homeschooling. She was, and was a leader of the local co-op. It's a small town, though, so I think it was easier to run into someone serendipitously like that.

Our local ESD where we sent our notification to homeschool has knowledge of various homeschool resources. Perhaps a homeschool liaison staff member there might know? Or if you attended a regional homeschool conference, there might be informal ways to find out?

Best wishes on your quest!

Erica in OR

Well, Classical Conversations has homeschool once a week programs all over...http://www.firstclasshomeschool.org/Welcome.html does too, and if you check your homeschool large groups... (like ours is OCEAN in Oregon... or OHEN?? for secular) then they sometimes have them listed... Some of groups can be found by googling with your state...

Carrie:-)

It's easier to found a coop than it is to find them. Good luck, but in the meantime, network with the local homeschoolers that you do know. Eventually, you might hear of one.

If there are homeschool days at local parks, libraries, museums, etc., you'll find the coops there.

We love CC (Classical Conversations) and it fits well with my personality and my kids. I'm laid back, and found it to be more than enough for my then 5 year old... kindergarten aged son... and my daughter did it and the afternoon program...which was IEW and Grammar.

You can just go to see one in action one day...and see if it works... Some will have you go to an Open House, first.

Carrie:-)

Thanks! When I looked at their website, it seemed like you meet twice a week and they had to memorize a big list of stuff. One of my kids is incapable of memorizing anything and I could see him just crying at the suggestion.

Maybe I just need to talk to someone who does it.