Menu

when do you know they're NOT gifted?

EthiopianFood

We know our children are gifted and we thought they would be. Because in our case, it wouldn't matter if it is genetics or the environment. They had two parents who were identified as gifted and they are our children. Did they show all the signs of the Ruff levels? No. My oldest had ear infection after ear infection and only learned to speak after he had ear tubes put in when he was 20 or 21 months old. Within a few months. he no longer was eligible for special services because he was advanced in his speaking ability. But I saw how he was when he played with others when he was younger. He would be playing WWII in the playground and getting all upset because the other kids didn't understand. He just didn't have problems understanding many things and was reading adult non fiction by the time he was eight.

My next one had a vision problem. So she was reading books with a hard vocabulary like Peter Rabbit series but couldn't read easier books with smaller print. Turns out that she was seeing double and small print was too confusing. What are her signs of giftedness_ composing music at age five, singing in tune at 15 months, learning to play music instruments correctly on her own at young age. And then the fact that in groups with others, she does get things quicker. SHe has memory issues so it makes her giftedness somewhat less apparent but she has expert analytical ability and she works around her memory problems quite effectively.

My last took a while to be interested in reading. Her problem is extreme perfectionism. She really didn't like to read when she couldn't do it effortlessly and well. She would read what she had to but not anything much more. Now she is 12 and has been reading voraciously for a few years. But her talents aren't in reading. She fixes things, invents things, figures out how things work. She also is very proficient in conceptual math work although she claims she hates math (she hates arithmetic since it is boring). She is doing LofF now and loves that.SHe likes to think mathematically.

My last took a while to be interested in reading. Her problem is extreme perfectionism. She really didn't like to read when she couldn't do it effortlessly and well. She would read what she had to but not anything much more. Now she is 12 and has been reading voraciously for a few years. But her talents aren't in reading. She fixes things, invents things, figures out how things work. She also is very proficient in conceptual math work although she claims she hates math (she hates arithmetic since it is boring). She is doing LofF now and loves that.SHe likes to think mathematically.

So, um, you have my child, then? :lol:

a

She also is very proficient in conceptual math work although she claims she hates math (she hates arithmetic since it is boring). She is doing LofF now and loves that.SHe likes to think mathematically.

If you know your daughter is gifted, hope you are able to find different way so that she does not have to say she hates math. Gifted kids can eventually do well if they are placed in their way.

She also is very proficient in conceptual math work although she claims she hates math (she hates arithmetic since it is boring). She is doing LofF now and loves that.SHe likes to think mathematically.

This is one thing she shares with my 14 yo. The higher she gets in math, the less of a daily struggle it becomes. She also loves LoF, although she's still going to do the other math I've already planned along with it. Otherwise, my dd has fit a different gifted profile than what you've described for this dd. (dd was ready for Algebra at 11 despite hating math and only doing what she had to, but even Algebra 1 had too much arithmetic--she did better with more rigourous Algebra and now with a proofy pair of Geometry texts, one of which is LoF, although she hates the work of actually writing the proofs down, but that is partly age.)