Menu

Costume ideas....Ren Faire

Boys are easy if you are going to be peasants. Get sweat pants without the elastic in the bottoms or cut the elastic off. You want brown or green or grey. The closer to dirt color the better. You can use long john bottoms for more of a leggings look, but my dh & son thought they were a little too revealing. :D

Get two t-shirts. One a short sleeve tee a couple sizes too big. This one will be the overtunic. It can be a faded color if you like. Cut off the sleeves and the ribbed neck. You can cut the neckline a little big or with a slight v-neck in the front. You will want the other shirt to show through. When you cut off the sleeves you can cut the arm holes bigger, too so they aren't tight under the arms. The other t-shirt should be long sleeved and white. You will want to let it soak in some strongly brewed tea or coffee, for the right color. Cut the ribbed neck off this one too but not as loosely as the first one. If there are ribbed cuffs cut them off too and stretch the bottom of the sleeves to make them loose.

Add a length of plain rope or cord for a belt and some sandals or dark slippers and they are good to go. For fun you can pick up a couple of wooden paint stirrers at your local DIY store and carve them into the shape of a spoon or knife. Paint them dark brown and hang them from the belt. Any kind of pouch or bag can also be hung from a belt.

This is all easier than it sounds and cheaper if you use t-shirts/ sweats they already have or get them at Goodwill. We have also scored plain wide leather belts at Goodwill that work with this outfit.

Don't even get me started on what it takes to dress girls for the Ren Faire. And the adult costume? Oy!

I hope you have a great time

Amber in SJ

The first time I needed that kind of costume for my son I made a tunic for him using a pillow case. I cut holes for his head and arms and printed out an iron on design of a rampant dragon on a shield background that I ironed on the center of the "tunic".

This is a picture of his tunic from Halloween 2004. Afterwards he wore his tunic to play "knights" until it was falling apart. For pants he wore a pair of solid colored pajama pants.

2004HalloweenKnight.jpg

Our whole family needed Medieval costumes last fall and we found them for about $20 each at a Halloween store that was temporarily set up in an old Wal-Mart. I know these stores come to our city each year, but they usually occupy a different (empty) store each time.

My three boys were knights, my husband was a monk, and I was a Lady. My dd's just used princess costumes.

I think the name of the company is Halloween Express.

HTH,

Leanna

We will be going to a Renaissance Faire in late October. Two of my boys need a costume of some sort to wear. We are not a "crafty" family and I do NOT sew. Is there somewhere I can order a costume that won't break the bank?

Is there a particular theme that weekend? Or are you going on the school day? Last year we went for Halloween weekend, so there wasn't a whole lot of medieval dress. Honestly, ren fest clothes are so expensive. I'd go to a Halloween store. They're popping up everywhere right about now.

The first time I needed that kind of costume for my son I made a tunic for him using a pillow case. I cut holes for his head and arms and printed out an iron on design of a rampant dragon on a shield background that I ironed on the center of the "tunic".

This is a picture of his tunic from Halloween 2004. Afterwards he wore his tunic to play "knights" until it was falling apart. For pants he wore a pair of solid colored pajama pants.

2004HalloweenKnight.jpg

What an adorable picture!! Your kids are so cute! :)