Menu

Open house before we move out or after?

Should we do our open house now or wait until we move?  

1. 1. Should we do our open house now or wait until we move?

• Do it now.
    • Wait till you move.

Ok, I can't figure out if I want the realtor to have the open house before we move out or after. When I was buying a house, I liked seeing ones with furniture in them more than empty ones, but she seemed like she was planning to do it after we moved.

Which is more likely to sell our house?

----------------------------

Ahhhhhhh!

The open houses are going to be this Thursday and next Wednesday. What do I do to get ready?

Edited by phathui5

Ok, I can't figure out if I want the realtor to have the open house before we move out or after. When I was buying a house, I liked seeing ones with furniture in them more than empty ones, but she seemed like she was planning to do it after we moved.

Bottom line: Open Houses don't sell houses, furnished or not. Sellers think they do, but they don't. People who come through your home for an open house are rarely serious buyers. Serious buyers have realtors and make appointments for showings with their realtors.

However, to hopefully give you a helpful answer: Houses do show better furnished, as long as the furnishings are tasteful and not cluttered.

I think with furniture but only if they are very well staged, otherwise empty would probably be better.

I put my house on the market while still living there and I had two offers within 12 days of my open house, antoher family was ready to put in another offer just as we accepted one of the initial offers. I had very carefully staged the whole house, it was a lot of work but worth it in the end.

People to like to see furniture in houses. Could you leave a few key pieces of furniture in the house? Make it look like a show case house. When we sold our last house, we couldn't move first. We took about half of our stuff out of the house and all personal items like pictures.

I would move out and leave some furniture.

Personally, I hate looking at houses w/ furniture in them. I like it when they are empty. For one, houses appear Bigger when they are empty, and 2nd, I feel like I'm intruding on someone's life when they are still living there. Oh, and if they are empty, I can see it as mine vs theirs. hth

I am currently trying to sell my house also. An Open House was never discussed however, I am purging my things to make our house look uncluttered and BIG!! As a potential home buyer I would want to look at a house with furniture but sparsely done and no personal things around. I want to envision my things in the house.

I've been getting rid of lots of stuff. I did two trips to Goodwill this week. We had a big yard sale. I've been getting rid of things on freecycle and craigslist too. And all of the stuff we don't need Right Now, I've been packing up and putting in our Boxes To Go area of the basement.

We're going on the market on the 1st. Good luck, Everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most of our furniture is already gone and I'm not going to worry about it. Also, we started looking for a house to buy and sometimes I prefer the ones that are already empty. Then, I can visualize my own furniture in there.

• 4 weeks later...
Personally, I hate looking at houses w/ furniture in them. I like it when they are empty. For one, houses appear Bigger when they are empty, and 2nd, I feel like I'm intruding on someone's life when they are still living there. Oh, and if they are empty, I can see it as mine vs theirs. hth

I am the same. I have currently house hunting. I feel more comfortable looking into closets and kitchen cupboards that are empty. Another thing I factor into when looking at an empty house is that I can get a quicker settlement. Home inspection seems to be better since the inspector does not have 'things' blocking his view. They do not move stuff. Also as someone previously mentioned, open houses do not typically sell a house. My Realtor, when I sold, said the same thing and both my open houses were dismal.