Menu

???? about IEW - I'm still confused!

Kelly in IL

:lol:I've been reading posts on IEW and it looks great but I am still confused about what to start with. Writing comes really naturally to me but I have a hard time teaching my kids how to write. For everyone who has used the program without the teaching DVDs, was it because teaching was more natural for you, or because they really do such a good job of teaching you how to teach even without the DVDs? Can you use the student DVDs successfully without using the teaching DVDs? If you have used the student DVDs, do you think they made a significant difference for your children? If you bought both the teaching and children's DVDs, do you buy them with or without the TWSS seminar workbook? (can't seem to find exactly what that is or why it is worth buying). If you buy the DVDs, do you have to buy one of the other books like Fables, Myths and Fairy Tales? Is there a specific order you buy the other writing books? Do you need to buy any additional materials at all to go with this?

Thanks for all your help! I know this is a lot of questions, but I have bought so many things and then not been able to use them and really want to get this one right. THANKS AGAIN!

Kelly

Teaching Writing Structure and Style (TWSS) is a set of DVDs plus seminar workbook that teaches the parent/teacher how to teach IEW. If watching them was enough for you to be comfortable pulling writing assignments from your other subject areas (science or history), then that's all you need. If you knew someone with the DVDs, you could even just buy the workbook and borrow the DVDs.

After that, it's up to you. You can start your student with a theme-based book that supplies assignments and incrementally teaches your child all the IEW techniques. Or you can start with the student DVDs, Student Writing Intensive (SWI), for their grade level. Andrew Pudewa teaches your child directly.

We started with TWSS and a theme-based book. In hindsight, I think it would have been ideal to begin with SWI, as my son really connected with Andrew's teaching when he watched TWSS with me.

There are more ways to teach IEW than there are to skin a cat, I'm sure!! No wonder it's so confusing. I've seen people mention they've just done SWI or just done the theme-based lessons and had great success. That sure makes it hard to decide which option would suit you best, doesn't it? You could ask on the IEW yahoo loop group - they are very helpful. I believe they usually recommend TWSS + SWI or alternatively TWSS + one of the theme-based lessons.

I hope some of that helped. Good luck!!

Writing comes really naturally to me but I have a hard time teaching my kids how to write.

I'm the same way.

I bought the TWSS (notebook & dvds for you, the teacher) and the SWI set (notebook & dvds for the student, plus the teacher pack of pages which gives you a summary of what will be covered in the dvd lesson, things to emphasize, etc...).

The TWSS is nice, but not necessary, imo.

My recommendation would be to get a SWI set for the level of your child & start w/ that. I watch the dvd lesson w/ my dd & am able to help/discuss as needed after we watch the lessons together. Dd enjoys watching the lessons on dvd & I appreciate having someone else explaining writing; I then help dd w/ the tweaking during writing & editing.

If possible, I'd recommend borrowing TWSS from someone - you probably know a local homeschooler who has it. You can watch the DVDs to get a great overview of the program, and give them back. Then I'd recommend buying the SWI program that corresponds to your student's age/skill level, and working through it with him. You will understand the big picture, and be able to help him with the details.

Just my $0.02, from a mom who has used various IEW programs for at least 10 years with most of my children.

Blessings,

GardenMom

We have been using IEW for 3 years now. I would recommend getting the TWSS/SWI combo. I think it is important to watch the TWSS all the way through and see where the program is bringing you. If you find the TWSS unnecessary after that, you can sell it at a high resale value.

The SWI gets you going through the program and gives you a glimpse of how to teach the program. The SWI was invaluable to me when I first started the program and my kids enjoyed Andrew. Last year we did a theme-based book, which we enjoyed as well. It is just a different format. This year we are using the SICCs and my kids look forward to watching Andrew. It makes writing just a little bit fun.

If you are a capable writer, and you just want help with a plan of instruction, the TWSS is great fit. I have used just the TWSS for years. I integrate the writing instruction into other subject areas we are studying.

I have had to use the SWI and a history-based writing in recent years with groups of other kiddos, and I can't imagine using them without the background of the TWSS. Even if you would use one of these, I would recommend the TWSS as well.