Menu

My ds would like to write a book

cdrumm4448

Have you looked at NaNoWriMo? Click on the "Young Writers Program" circle and then "Fun Stuff" to download an elementary writer workbook.

It's free. :)

I will wholeheartedly second this. I used the materials with my children last year, and my 7 year old with autism STILL talks about the roller coaster that makes up a story. She will identify the "going up a roller coaster" (rising action) in stories she has read, or that I am reading to her, or even movies she watches.

All 3 of my children wrote stories last year for NaNoWriMo and the girls at least are anxiously awaiting November when they can start their new stories. My son is less obviously excited, but he's a boy! LOL

For those who do Nano, do you print out the workbooks or do you take them somewhere to get it printed and bound? That's 112 pages and I'm not really interested in printing all that out. What's best?

I didn't find out about the kids stuff until after NaNoWriMo started last November, so this year will be our first year to use it.

I will be taking it to Staples and having it printed. :)

Did you sign up as an educator or sign up for your child. I'm just wondering if there is any difference. It talks about a NWP Noveling kit for teachers but I don't see where to order that or if it is free.

I'd like to try it too. I'm just wondering if it is any different if I sign us both up individually or if I sign up as the teacher. Is there any difference at all in the way the program works.

Did you sign up as an educator or sign up for your child. I'm just wondering if there is any difference. It talks about a NWP Noveling kit for teachers but I don't see where to order that or if it is free.

I'd like to try it too. I'm just wondering if it is any different if I sign us both up individually or if I sign up as the teacher. Is there any difference at all in the way the program works.

I'm sorry, but I don't know if there's any difference. If there's any difference, I would think it would be geared toward classroom participation and how to do NaNoWriMo with your class of 20 - 30 students.

This will be our first year to participate. I signed up last year, but life happened and I didn't get to finish. This year, my son and I are doing this as part of school. We'll start pre-writing in October. :)

Have you looked at NaNoWriMo? Click on the "Young Writers Program" circle and then "Fun Stuff" to download an elementary writer workbook.

It's free. :)

Does anyone know what grades/ages this would be good for?

I took a peek at the workbook, it seems like a lot of writing that would frustrate my first grade son. He's a proficient reader for his age, and does well writing but that would add a lot to our days. Was thinking we could still do it but I do the writing for him, or he could type it? Anyone have experience with this and what age? He's been trying to write stories on his own for a while and has a real desire to come up with adventure stories.

I didn't find out about the kids stuff until after NaNoWriMo started last November, so this year will be our first year to use it.

I will be taking it to Staples and having it printed. :)

How much does that cost? I tried to get some stuff printed out locally and it was ex.pen.sive., so I'm hoping to find somewhere cheaper :)

I took a peek at the workbook, it seems like a lot of writing that would frustrate my first grade son. He's a proficient reader for his age, and does well writing but that would add a lot to our days. Was thinking we could still do it but I do the writing for him, or he could type it? Anyone have experience with this and what age? He's been trying to write stories on his own for a while and has a real desire to come up with adventure stories.

Nanowrimo is National Novel Writing Month. So, it's not for a specific grade so much as any child that is ready to do that kind of work. You could try to make it easier for him by reading the questions and writing his answer (like narration). We're going to shoot for the moon and try to do it all in November, together (dd, ds and ME).

How much does that cost? I tried to get some stuff printed out locally and it was ex.pen.sive., so I'm hoping to find somewhere cheaper :)

Weeelll, Staples just bumped my rewards to a "preferred" status and sent me a ton of coupons for printing. One of the coupons is printing 100 pages "free", so I won't know until I take a jump drive over and print out the workbooks how much it would really cost.

I know how much an ink cartridge cost for my printer and I'm pretty sure that the rates will be comparable to that ~ $28.

My son started writing comic books and short stories a few years ago. I let him type them to make it easier on him; then I would help him correct spelling and punctuation. For this workbook, I will have him write the answers in the book but for your son you could dictate since he's so young and then let him write the actual story on the computer.

For those worried about how much time it will take from a school day, I was planning to have NaNoWriMo BE school for the month. Not everything of course, but we will take a break from grammar & spelling. I don't know if that will work for everyone but it's what we are planning so we're not adding this on top of what we already do, we're replacing.

My 4th grader is doing this for this year but is doing it at her own pace. We are not entering the competition just using it for a good writing practice. I printed mine out because it was too expensive to have the print shop print them. I use the draft print option to save on ink. I also bought paper on sale at walmart for $2.50 a pack. Not to bad all in all.