Menu

Anyone have experience with science fairs?

Tap

Ds is part of a Science, Math and Technology Magnet program in the local high school. One of the graduation requirements is to make a formal entry into a professional science fair. The school has picked the International Science and Engineering Fair. He doesn't need to do the formal entry until his Jr/Sr year, but he has to do 2 smaller research projects this year (outside of class requirements-so there won't be instruction) as a prep/experience building exercise.

I have NO experience with science fairs, having never entered one (not even one at school level), never completed a full science research project, nor have I ever even visited one. The only thing I know is what I have seen on TV.

The SMT head will be having a 1 hour meeting coming up for parents, but it is about the entire SMT program and not the fair entry only. So, I don't think that will be of much help.

Does anyone have any BTDT advice, resource recommendations, or websites to visit?

The only experience I have is with the one hosted by my homeschool support group. It is a science and heritage fair. The difference though si the kids do not have to chose an experiment, they can do a model type project. Last year the kids did, THe Amur Leopard, the Moon, and lions. This year I am running the science fair for the group, but have not started the stuff yet. I have a meeting tomorrow night and will talking to the group about the fair. Today I am spending sometime googling sites to help with planning, so i can share my list with you once I compile it. Some of the sites will be geared for younger kids, but I hope to find a selection for all ages.

There is a ton of info online.

My biggest suggestion is to make sure he understands that it isn't about original research, at least the first couple of years. It is about mastering the scientific method of asking a question, making a hypothesis, testing the hypothesis, looking at data and then deciding if the hypothesis was supported or not. (Believe it or not, I think Mythbusters does a pretty good demo of this.)

Another big part of the science fair model is the notebooks that they keep where they are supposed to maintain records of the reseach.

We have had our oldest in regional science fair and my husband has been a judge at quite a number including both regional and school science fairs. His biggest complaint in both kinds of contests is kids not doing scientific research but rather some type of demonstration or half hearted attempt. Others had projects that were obviously done by someone else since they hadn't a clue what there own projects were about. The standout projects were when students chose something they were interested in if not passionate about, found out lots about the problem, had a true experiment, and could it explain it to the judges.