Menu

Anyone used both Traditional Logic and Introductory Logic?

Dd is working through TL1 now, but I've been eying IL. It looks like more fun. I had the original edition of IL and tried to use it years ago, but we wound up ditching it for TL because the explanations seem disjointed to me. The new edition looks more readable and better organized. I think there's a lot of value in TL, but from what ds tells me many of the topics covered in Itro/Interm Logic are seen again in math and critical thinking in college. These curricula don't seem to overlap much.

So I was thinking: we're on track to finish TL1 by Christmas and we could start IL after that. Spend a semester or so on IL. Then alternate again next school year? Anhy input appreciated. Thanks.

Mary

I looked at samples of both and chose Traditional Logic. If you do a search on this forum, there are a lot of comments about both. It seems that language based people prefer Traditional Logic, and math based people prefer Intro. Logic. The Intro. Logic looked too "technical" and complicated for us.

Not intentionally. My oldest 3 used Introductory Logic. It's definitely more of a math-based, symbolic logic. I hope to use TL I and II with dd1 and ds2 this year. Why would you want to do both TL I and Introductory Logic rather than progress through one series or the other? There would be a lot of overlap in the concepts, though one uses symbolic logic and the other uses language.

Lisa

Just wondering, as I am trying to decide on a logic program for Dd12, what about Critical Thinking by the critical thinking company? It is listed as a "core curriculum" product.

Would this cover the same elements found in TL and IL?

Anyone do this, and not complete TL or IL?

Thanks for any advise:)