Menu

Learning the 50 states in 3rd grade! IDEAS!!

lovinmykids

I did states and capitals with my twins last year for 2nd grade. Each day they would trace a laminated map of the United States with the eventual goal of being able to draw the US from memory on a blank piece of paper. Next, each week we studied 5 states and capitals. I found extra large flashcards from Barnes and Noble. Each card had an outline of the state and a star with the capital noted. On the back was some information abou the state. We made up hand motions to go with each state and capital. We would study a set of 5 in depth each week and then constantly quiz and review the previous weeks.

My girls know the states and capitals really really well. We enjoyed the States and Capitals CD put out by Kidzup.

My oldest son used the State Sheets from My Father's World curriculum in 2nd grade. He learned all the states that year. I plan to use them with my youngest son also, but I'm spreading them out over two years (3rd and 4th grades) rather than just the one that MFW schedules them for. We also have a board game called 50 Great States that they enjoy.

You might try the book "Yo, Sacramento!" which has mnemonic cartoons for each of the states and capitals. We're working on capitals now and I'm using that in conjunction with a set of states and capitals flashcards (for the capitals) and a pad of blank continental US outline maps (from the teacher supply store, for the location of the states). http://www.sheppardsoftware.com has some free online geography games.

There's also "Wakko's Capitals" from Animaniacs

An alternate to a book: Here is a freeware program called Seterra.

It is a quiz type program to learn countries, capitals, etc. You can use just the US portion, just the continent portion (ie all the countries on the African continent), or world level.

It was recommended from a free homeschool geography curriculum (put out by Terry Johnson; I think that is her name) that I picked up at MassHOPE a few years ago.

My daughter learned the states around K as an accident, meaning, I didn't plan it or orchestrate it. We had read the book "Scrambled States of America" and then I bought the game that goes along with it on E-bay. We also had the magnetic board of the USA that I quizzed her on as she put it together. The game "Great States" is another good one too. After playing around for a while I realized how she was retaining not just the state names and where they were but also the capitals. Make it fun and enjoy learning!

Hi,

I use this with my third grader and she really enjoys it.

http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Deluxe-Wooden-Puzzle/dp/B0007WIZF8

I want to teach my Dd 8 all the states and there capitals. Is there anything or book you would recommend getting for her and I?

Were currently doing R&S Social Studies 3 but I would like to also add the states in there at some point.

Thanks!