Menu

Any recommendations for phonics rules re-inforcement for 1st grade?

SS in MD

My 7yo (1st grader) is using MFW 1st grade. She's reading OK, but the phonics rules she's learing thru' MFW are not cementing in her reading or writing. I think she needs more activities to reinforce the rules (like the different ways to make long O --> oe, o_e, oa, ow, or K is silent when "kn" are together) I have her read to me everyday, but she still is having difficulties. Any games, activities or workbooks that have been sucessful for you all? (She is a very visual learner, not auditory - she may have some auditory processing issues)

Thanks for the suggestions!:)

I used MFW First Grade to teach reading to my oldest son. The lessons move quite quickly. Maybe that is the issue. We are very relaxed in first grade, so we did not do MFW everyday. On those days when we didn't want to do it or couldn't for some reason, I would have him do a page or two in Explode the Code. It's just a workbook, no games. But, that extra little bit of reinforcement really helped him. Then, in second grade, I tried Rod & Staff Spelling (as recommended by MFW). We are still using it. I love how it continues to reinforce phonetic structure for a couple of more years.

Now, with my second son, I plan to continue the MFW/Explode the Code combo. However, if he needs or wants games, we will use Happy Phonics. We already have it and he likes it. It's just alot of simple phonics games.

I thought the MFW First Grade TM included some ideas for games to play if you want to. We didn't do them and I don't remember where in the TM they are, but I thought there were some.

Another idea may be some of those File Folder Phonics books. I don't know who the publisher is... maybe Evan Moore. I can look them up if you are interested. I think Rainbow Resource Center has some of them. They probably have sample pages.

I also recommend the ETC workbooks- available at Rainbow Resource.

In addition, I would like to suggest Phonics Pathways. It is a nice, sequential primer. There are not really any games nor other bells and whistles, but the lessons are very clearly laid-out in clear, bold font for your visual learner. It wouldn't take much time at all on a regular basis to proceed through that text and review all the phonics rules.

We use both of those resources.

my kids did 100EL and read ok but we then use OPGTTR to reinforce phonics since it goes through the rules. We start after the alphabet section. We only read the rule and the words. If they can't say the word after hearing the rule they also read the sentences. that's it. just enough to hear the rule and practice with a few words.

We also do ETC and often we have the same 'rule' in both ETC and OPG!

Happy Phonics is available from a company called Love to Learn. If you do a search for the company name plus the product, you'll find it! It's really a great product. I think it's a complete program, but it's more typically used as a supplement. The author recommends the use of the Explode the Code books with it and my copy of the TM correlates the two. It has been updated, so I'm not sure how it's integrated now, but I would assume it's the same. I think some new users of it are put off by the amount of assembly that is required. You do have to cut up the little games and put things in zippered bags. I actually purchased mine used, so that was already done for me! Otherwise, I probably would have went nuts. But, if you don't mind that kind of thing, it's worth the time and effort. It's alot of fun.

We have loved Adventures in Phonics. Every lesson has a rule at the top of the page, and then reinforcing actvities below. Dd has particularly applied these to spelling, as her reading isn't a problem.

I would say, tho, that your dd probably just needs to keep reading. First and second (and even third) grade are times to read, read, read. It builds vocab, sight word id (not just words that are hard to figure out phonetically, but words that become cemented in the memory and don't need to be figured out each time), expression and fluency.

I, for one, simply don't use phonics beyond the long and short vowel stuff, for reading. We get our skills by doing it. So my advice is to keep up with the phonics, but go for reading alot with her. Some slightly below her level, some at her challenge level.