Menu

Jack of all trades

HSHS

My DD was top of her class from 3-11, and then she moved up to secondary school & remained in the highest classes possible in all subjects but now she's left school, her mental health issues are okay again and DD's keen to start work again we're off! Haha! But basically, DD wants to learn everything humanly possible but because she wants to do so many things all at once she ends up doing none. Is this a common thing for gifted kids? She just tested off the k-12 reading comprehension scale of a test I gave her. Hehe!

But basically, I was wondering, math she's working at an 8th grade level so should we drop language arts for now and concentrate on maths & science? I've no idea what level she's working at science wise but I'd estimate it at 1-2 grade levels below her age. Due to bad teachers while she was in school, not her fault. But she's paying for Kinetic books physics because she's interested in going into computer science (and you need a physics A Level to get into uni) so she's buying it out of interest and it's going to be her science lesson. But should we concentrate on that and her pre-algebra & algebra and temporarily abandon language arts?

For some reason I think she's going to miss something if we skip it... S:

But basically, DD wants to learn everything humanly possible but because she wants to do so many things all at once she ends up doing none.

lol you just described my last few years hsing! I just made a spreadsheet plan of everything for the next 10 years. Subject to change. But it helps to have a plan and a focus. It's helping me let go of a few things this year, knowing we'll get to it. Don't know if that helps any.

The plan idea did help, actually. DD thinks it's a good idea so we're going to sit down now and make a list and a plan. And Truscifi, DD actually likes language arts, hence the writer written in my sig but she's never been taught how to write a paper so I've asked her to write two this week for me to look at and then we were thinking she's have to write a paper on every chapter of her history (History of the Ancient World, SWB), Religion (Religion & Life, a GCSE book) and Biology (Biology for IGCSE). It's basically to secure her knowledge, and it sounds like a lot of writing but since DD likes it and wants to do it (it was actually her idea I'm taking credit for xD) so I don't have any worries about that. So could I use that as language arts alone? We don't have to worry about transcripts luckily. :]

But should we concentrate on that and her pre-algebra & algebra and temporarily abandon language arts?

For some reason I think she's going to miss something if we skip it... S:

I'd keep the English going, but at a lighter level, whilst following her interests in science and maths.

Laura

She's planning on taking it next year. (: She's taking GCSE Maths, Religion & General Studies in November/June this year. Next year she's taking GCSE psychology & IGCSE english language. We've already got the CIE English Language book and workbook though but I don't want her to finish it this year and forget it by the time she takes the exam. S:

She's planning on taking it next year. (: She's taking GCSE Maths, Religion & General Studies in November/June this year. Next year she's taking GCSE psychology & IGCSE english language. We've already got the CIE English Language book and workbook though but I don't want her to finish it this year and forget it by the time she takes the exam. S:

And let her drive ahead with the science.

Best wishes

Laura

She's going to be doing Kinetic books physics, and their algebra, as well as saxon 8/7 I think. It doesn't make much sense to me but DD wants to try and work them simultaneously and if it's too difficult we'll just drop Kinetic books until she's finished Saxon. We can't wait for Saxon to arrive though D:

She's going to be doing Kinetic books physics, and their algebra, as well as saxon 8/7 I think. It doesn't make much sense to me but DD wants to try and work them simultaneously and if it's too difficult we'll just drop Kinetic books until she's finished Saxon. We can't wait for Saxon to arrive though D:

Is she the kind of person who might burn out though?

Laura

Not really, but I've told her that if it starts to get too much we'll drop Kinetic. So it's not a strict thing that she has to keep it going through the whole year. (:

I'm not slave driving, no matter what the British government think. xD

Jo